Is it okay to give my 11 month old popcorn?

My DH and I have popcorn sometimes and we end up giving some to our 11 month old son. He enjoys it very much actually. I'm just concerned about the shell that's left on one? Do you know what I mean? Is that okay for his little belly or not?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 3:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor called popcorn "baby cork" because it is the leading cause of infant/toddler choking. I don't think that it is neccesarily bad for his stomach, however, it is very very risky.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't know about the effects for his belly, but there is a very risk for choking on popcorn.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 3:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• That's one of the biggest choking hazards for children under 3.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I give my 12 month old pop corn.. only i make sure it doesnt have one of those shell things on it, so i just break off a very tiny piece that doesnt and give it to her, its very tiny, but it makes her happy that shes eating what were eating!!
    Be carefull, and make sure she or he is ALWAYS supervized while eating!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Children under 3 shouldn't have popcorn because of the choking risk. When we started giving our kids popcorn, we only gave them the puffed part and broke the kernel part off. They were able to eat that without any problems.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009