What to do with a DRAMA QUEEN!!!!

My DD turned 3 in Dec. and has always been a drama queen but it is getting so bad! She fell this morning and acted like she was going to die, she will scream and cry and even start to shake. Everything is DRAMA. It drives me crazy!!!!! Anything I can do to tone it down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's just a growth issue. My youngest was like that until a doctor caught on to her and put her in her place. All's nice and calm now for us. It was helpful for mine to be put in time out until unnecessary hysterics quit. Some times she really messed the room but better that than disrupting more in public. I've also left stores countless times for misbehavior with tons of cold frozen food in my cart. My three kids remember those days. Also, I don't and haven't, when my kids were little, bought them what ever they demanded at checkout in the candy lanes. It didn't stop my youngest from her dramas but it didn't feed the action either. It'll get better mama I promise - get earplugs!!! or better yet walk around your house with a good headset on with a waistband ipod - on loooooong music!!
    Anonymous

• p.s. I did take what I was leaving in the grocery carts to customer service for them to return - I think they actually appreciated not having a screaming ranting raving little kid all geared up not getting what she wanted!!
    Anonymous

• Don't give into tantrums and get her involved in a sport if you can. A team sport really helps them out of the "drama queen" bit. My DD was like yours and we got her into soccer. She realized fast that it was a TEAM Sport and throwing her tantrum meant she didn't get to go out on the field with all the other children. I have seen a huge improvement in her behavior since getting her involved in a team sport. I can't swear to it that it will work for you but it did for our family :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• When my son starts in, I take his chin in my hand and make him look at me and very strongly say "This behavior is not acceptable and we do not act this way" then I walk away and ignore him. It works for us! :D
    myanne

Answer by myanne at 3:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I know how you feel. Just tell her that is not how she is allowed to behave and let her know she can't get away with acting that way
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I'd spank her when she acted like that!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Buy the book 123 Magic by Thomas Phelan. It helped a lot with my drama queen. Whatever you do, try not to reinforce her by giving her a lot of attention when she's being inappropriate. That only fuels the fire.
    StephanieLtd

Answer by StephanieLtd at 9:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Ignore it!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I have a 4 yr old DD that is a drama queen....I tend to ignore a lot of thing and I also choose my battles with her. I have stopped trying for make her wear what I want her to...if it doesn't match...so what. I just read something saying that at this age, there isn't much that they can control so let them have control over little things...like what they will wear, etc. Bella acts like she's dying everytime she gets hurt. I ignore her unless her cry tells me that she is truly hurt...the drama is slightly reduced when it doesn't get the attention that she thinks she will.
    Momof3cuties

Answer by Momof3cuties at 12:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2009