I am only getting a $500/month allowance in food assistance.

Can somebody please tell me how the hell I'm supposed to feed a family of six on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We eat on less than $80 a week. We even get a bag of chips and a bag of cookies or candy every week. I buy a club pack of whatever is less than $2 a lb. Then that makes four or five meals. the other two are vegetarian. I make big pots of soup and we eat that and peanut butter and jelly for lunches, or fruits and veggies and cheese.

If you have kids under five, you can get WIC assistance, too, which pays for milk, eggs, cheese and cereal. After that assistance, the amount they give you seems like a dream. My mom played the system for years (probably why I hate it so much) and I would have to run over there to help her with shopping so she didn't blow it.

Many times the portions we serve are too large and that ups the grocery bill too, We don't have a right to eat as much of whatever we want, especially if we are in a situation where corners need to be cut.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• wow your complaining about free money???
    Anonymous

• Its assistance, im not bashing AT ALL so please dont take it that way, its not supposed to cover your food, its supposed to help.
    But i live in a family of 6... and we spend about 200 every 2 weeks.. so its possible..
    :D
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 4:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Wow you cannot be for real LOL
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Try shopping at a cheaper grocery store it could save your money and you may be able to manage for the month. We only get 300 for a family of 4 but we are able to manage well. We usually shop at Aldi's and if there's things we can't get from there then we go to Cub although they are not the cheapest place to shop that's for sure.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• wow i got a family of 4 and we only have about 200 a month for food.. sorry to tell you but they shouldnt be giving you a free ride.. its to help not to pay your way
    Anonymous

• It's only suppose to help, not cover everything.
    Try looking into other options in your area--angel food boxes, co-ops, etc.
    Anonymous

• Be happy you got the help, 500.00 is alot of food... spend it wisely, buy in bulk, stock up on canned goods when they go on sale, buy meat in family sized packets..its cheaper that way. take advantage of the buy one get one free...be creative, there are alot of ways to make it stretch.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Get a part time or full time job, that's how.
    Anonymous

• Sweet Jesus, are you ready for the fireworks this question will bring ? And thats not including how ballistic some anonymous posters will be... Good luck..
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 4:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2009