• In the Spotlight:

how can i raise my child to be calm and not noisy

my inlaws' voice is so loud .. so is my parents' i control my self around her but can't control them or the surroundings as tv and stuff.. she'll be one year next april

docmamy

Asked by docmamy at 4:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Setting a good example is the best thing you can do. Praising her for having fun at an appropriate noise level helps too. You can ask her grandparents to tone it down a notch, but it is hard to say how that will be taken. Make sure you aren't being oppressive though, sometimes when we are trying to counteract something we can go too far to the opposite side of the spectrum, nobody wants kids that scream and bounce off the walls, but sometimes it is appropriate to be a little loud and rambunctious so make sure you encourge that at appropriate times & places. Talk to her about inside voice vs. outside voice. Oh and watch for foods that get her wound up (most often sugars & caffine, but can be other things too) & keep those at small doses. Your encouragement of good manners & calm interactions with others will go a long way towards making your daughter a pleasant person to spend time with.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• wear earplugs cause we're all bound to raise our voices ourselves at one time or another. If you feel obligated to see those who are noisy cuz of bad things or just loud voices then control the situation by visiting at their house. Then you can leave to get kids to bed, cause one is coming down with a cold whether they see it or not - if you're visited, being the host, sometimes it's hard to get people to leave on time. But I find being a guest at difficult people's houses, gatherings that I can leave when I want to real easy. Your daughter is so young - do ask if tv shows really violent ones are a probl. for them to be off while you're there if you're visiting relatives or best friends. They can watch those shows x other hours a week, most every thing repeats.
    Anonymous

• Ahhh.. Nature vs Nurture.
    Some of it will be determined by her inborn personality. Some of it will be what she is around. When she is at home, try to be calm. Play calm music. Have quiet story and art time. Speak softly and don't yell.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• kids learn what they live so if you want her calm and not noisy then be calm and not noisy

Answer by admckenzie at 4:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You have to be calm and not loud. Talk to your family and let them know in your home they have to tone it down.
    Anonymous