Would you ever send your child to bed without dinner? Or have you ever? If so, for what reason? Do you consider this a form of child abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have given my daughter the choice to have what is for dinner or to pick one other thing she would like to replace it with. If she doesn't eat either one then she will go to bed hungry. It isn't child abuse becuase she is given the choice and she has to learn that every choice has a consequence -good or bad. She will get up and have a big breakfast if she chooses not to eat dinner. Usually though she eats what is made.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Yes, I have done that when my child was being unpleasant at the dinner table. Missing one meal to learn a lesson is not child abuse, and because I actually follow through with it I rarely have problems at the dinner table.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My son is still a toddler and we're not to that level of discipline yet. But I could definitely see myself doing that in certain situations. No, it's not child abuse if it is an appropriate consequence and it happens infrequently. If it is done inappropriately and/or frequently, then yes, it's abusive to deny a child food.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• ILL LET HER KNOW IF SHE DOESNT ADJUST HER ATTITUDE THAN SHE CAN GO TO BED WITHOUT DINNER...SEE I GAVE HER A CHOICE...IF SHE CHOOSES THE LATTER THAN SHE MUST BE WASNT HUNGRY
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My son is in the ubber picky stage of eating. Instead of giving in and giving him what he wants I will tell him "eat what is in front of you or go to bed hungry" We are trying to teach him that it is not a choice of what we eat everynight its eat what is given or just dont eat.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 5:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My daughter (3) was having a particularly bad day. She'd skipped her nap, and been tantruming all afternoon. At dinnertime, she threw all of her food on the floor. She went to bed without dinner that night, and hasn't done that since.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• NO because I don't use food as a punishment or reward. Food is a basic need and should be tied to hunger not behavior.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Not as a punishment, really, but they refused to eat their supper so....okay, no other food. They got breakfast the next day.

I put the food on the table, it's up to them to eat it. I can't force feed them.

It's only happened once per kid so far.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't think this is ever appropriate, and I thank God my parents felt the same way. I have hypoglycemia and epilepsy, and going without food can lead to serious consequences.
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• GoalieMom93,

I am with you 110%! you rock

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2009