Do cavities fall out with baby teeth, or do they grow in with the adult teeth?

mamahud

Asked by mamahud at 4:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Unless it's really severe decay and gum disease, the new teeth should come in just perfect. If your child is prone to cavities, ask your dentist about having all the molars sealed. That bought me a good 20 years of perfect teeth. Then they fell out and now I have a mouth full of silver and gold.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Are you kidding me ? LOL Yes they fall out with the baby teeth, the permanent teeth have not developed yet or a too deep below the gum line.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• They fall out and the new teeth are usually just fine unless the gums have been infected.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Wow mama...you might want to change your childs diet. No offense...its just not a good sign healthwise. I had caveties young and my dentist had me switch from sugary gums to sugar free gums.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• MamaChamp, maybe you might want to not assume you know everything about someone from a simple question. ;)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 8:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• yup when the baby tooth falls out the cavity goes with.
    also to MamaChamp....it may not be the lil ones diet. My daughter had a cavity the first time she went and we were strict about brushing and flossing. i asked the dentist what i can do to prevent more in the future and i was told that one we could prevent, she had weak enamel on that tooth. so dont be so oquick to judge what she is feeding her lil one.
    Anonymous

• Baby teeth fall out when the permanent teeth are coming through,thats what makes them loose. As people can see as soon as a baby tooth is out, theres the other one. you can also google it, I am sure.Check with a dentist to make sure there aren't any other problems
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The cavity is in the tooth, so when the tooth comes out, the cavity comes out too. That is not to say the new tooth may not have cavities, or get them though, so be sure to take the child to the dentist on a regular basis.
    Anonymous

• when my 6 yr. old was about 3 she had a bad cavity on her front top tooth, she would NOT even let any dentist look in her mouth. So I had to find a specialist. I finally found one and they took x-rays and saw how bad the cavity was and told me the tooth had to be pulled ASAP. Her gum above it had abscessed. They told me if I didn't have it pulled that it CAN spread up to the forming adult tooth because of the infections that go into the tooth and make them not be as healthy.
    Now years later, my best friend works for a dentist and if you don't take care of your teeth you can develop health issues, from blood disorders to diabetes. I was shocked to find out that your teeth can affect your health in these ways. Adult or child.
    lovelily79

Answer by lovelily79 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You are so right RanaAurora. Believe it or not, some kids are just born with bad teeth. My sister made sure she took very good care of my nephew's teeth because she had bad teeth, but guess what, he still got cavities. Another friend's son was diabetic (meaning very little sugar in his diet) and he still got cavities in his baby teeth. Another nephew seemed to get junk food from day one was always fighting against brushing his teeth. Unfortunately he's overweight, but not a single cavity.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009