Why are my kids obsessed with food and eating?

Everything they do, they talk about food, ask for food (even if they just ate), or try to take other peoples food. It got to the point where we thought they weren't getting enough to eat, and let them eat until they were content. They each ate about 3 times more than their father and I (they are 3, and almost 2). And both ate until they are sick.

Why do they do this, and I know I need to limit to prevent obesity, but they cry after eating as much as I do when I say meal time is over.

They get vitamins daily, so I doubt its a vitamin deficiency.

new_mom_10_21

Asked by new_mom_10_21 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• simply, you have to put your foot down. If that doesnt work, take a trip to the Dr and figure it out.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 5:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It is as if they aren't getting some nutrient that they need. And yet you mentioned that they are getting a multivitamin. If they get milk, protein, fresh and cooked vegetables and fruits, whole grains, then that should give them ample nutrition. I've heard to let children eat as much as they want and eventually it will even out, since their systems will get enough of whatever they are missing. Instead of letting them eat random foods, perhaps when a reasonable meal is over you can say if you are still hungry here are some (fresh or cooked) carrots, brocolli, beans, celery, apples and other fruit, cauliflower, mushrooms, things that don't have a lot of calories but are packed with nutrition and fiber, especially the vegetables. And don't ever give food as reward. My MIL gave our sons candy when they used the potty, I stopped that as soon as she went home. Don't give sweets as a treat, -fruit, vegetables, popcorn.

Answer by Bmat at 5:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Kids just are afraid to feel hunger. My kids do the same thing. If you know they shouldn't be hungry stick to your 3xs a day schedule and a snack and let them learn to deal with the not eating they will stop eventually. It is a reaction to their boredum.
    225mom

Answer by 225mom at 6:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2009