Question for Veggies or those who know about Veg. cooking...

I need to make a recipe out of a certain book for a meeting next week at an Indian friends house... no meat. I really want to try a sun dried tomato and sausage risotto recipe. Do you know of a good substitute for sausage? Or would it be best to just omit it and forget about it?
*I don't know how to use tofu*

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 5:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I would use mushrooms and some fennel in place of the sausage. And tofu isn't that hard to use. You can do just about anything with it. To use like ground meat, I freeze it (It crumbles when defrosted). I also press mine to remove the extra water when using for a stir fry or before I bake it.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was going to say tofu, so.... hmmm... I'm stumped.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Is tofu tough to figure out?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• shrimp or rice?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• or maybe mushrooms sound good too :
    http://www.raleys.com/www/apps/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipeid=167963
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well, Morning Star vegitarian sausage patties are a great substitute for sausage. Tofu is not hard. You may be able to do it!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Just want to add the veggie sausage patties are in almost every grocery store and Target/Walmart. They are in the frozen section.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Morning star farms are delicious, really, but not really italian, which I'm guessing is what the risotto calls for. Tofu is sort of bland by itself, but you can just buy an italian marinade tofu (they have all kinds, and use it in small dice. If the recipe calls for the sausage to be browned, and then simmered with the arborio rice, remove the tofu during the simmering process, until you are adding the last bit of liquid. (I'm guesssing you'll be using veggie stock-remember it's thicker than chicken, cut it with some white wine or water>)

I would get the veggie sausage if you can find an italian type though, other wise your seasoning will be off. Butternut squash risotto is delicious as well
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Just to add. ( I didnt know it needs italian sausage) Morning Star DOES make italian sausage now. It is great too!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I thnk MomShawn has the best answer!! But what does Rissotto have to do with the friends being from India???
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009