When is the best time of day or night to pump?

I just tried pumping for the first time last night whilst she was also feeding, which sucks because neither of us enjoy it when there is a pump attached to the other side, but anyway I only got about 4oz. I have no idea how much she will eat at a sitting because she is 5 months and EBF only. We are going to try a bottle when DH comes home from deployment but I don't know how much to freeze or for DH to feed her. What do you think?

LeoneLover13

Asked by LeoneLover13 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will have the most milk in the morning, either before or after her first feed...as the day progresses, you produce less because you are up and moving, less relaxed and more stressed! My baby is EBF also, and i pump 3 times a day at work, and still have excess to freeze. how old will she be when he comes back? also, if you got 4 ounces at night...you should have no problem getting a good supply built up and frozen! as for when she feeds from a bottle, it would be best if you start her now, at least once a day using a bottle, just pump and feed with the bottle, it is hard to get the baby used to it! that will also help give you an idea of how much to give her at a time, i would recommend starting with the 4 ounces, and working up from there!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Four ounces is NOT an "only." That's an ASTOUNDING amount to pump at night, the worst time to pump.

Two ounces in the AM (best time to pump) is normal and is a feeding. You'll never need a huge bottle.

(And age doesn't matter.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Wooow I wish I was able to get four ounces!! I can only get about 1/2 an ounce out of each breast when I pump. I make alot more for my girlie, obviously, but a pump is never an indicator of supply. Remember that!!

Anyways, prolactin(milk-making hormone) is highest at 3:00am :) Lol. So morning would be best, unless your awake at three in the morning.

Happy nursing!!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2009