Potty Training Regression?

My son will be 3 in May, and he was doing really good with his potty training. He is wearing big boy underwear and was having almost no accidents. Now that it has been almost a month, he has started peeing in his underwear at least 2 sometimes 3 times a day. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I will not put him back in diapers...that is a big step backwards in my opinion...any other ideas?
thanks!

NewMommyin06

Asked by NewMommyin06 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you keeping track of when he goes? Are you watching him to see if he does the "potty dance"? Are you expecting him to tell you he has to go? Do you ask him if he has to go?

Once the newness and excitment wears off, kids quickly realize that going to the bathroom means leaving their play, their toys, etc. So when you ask if he has to go, he'll say "NO!" no matter how badly he has to go. If he realizes he has to go, he'll hold it as long as he can so he can keep playing... until it's too late.
    Do NOT ask him if he has to go. Simply tell him it is time to go.
    Keep an eye on when he last went, make sure he goes within 2 hours.
    If you see him doing the "potty dance", tell him it is time to go.

Do not stop telling him "it's time to go" until you see him trotting off down the hall with no prompting from you for several days in a row and he is accident free on those days.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• some times they will do that because they are stressed about something (even if it doest seem like a big deal), or maybe the excitement has worn off. if you dont already, try making a SUPER big deal about it again. all the 'yay! what a big boy!', and clapping and high fives again. he might think now that hes got it down its not such a big deal to you.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the advice...I will try that for sure!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2009