Conservative Mindset Question... (Not an insult just trying to understand)

I have heard over and over on various topics that you shouldn't have to pay for this government assistance or that. That people need to work harder, etc. Whether it's universal healthcare, food stamps, etc. It seems to be the heaviest answer in an argument. Not just on this website too.
My question is, why? If you have the ability to help another out why wouldn't you want too? If a child could get into a doctors office or food on the table why wouldn't you want too? Healthcare shouldn't be a luxury, neither should food, clothing or shelter. No, I am not trying to say that the government should bail out everyone or make it easy on the "abusers of the system" but some people need help for a brief moment and get back on their feet. Why be judgmental? I'm sure single people or the elderly don't mind paying into the public school systems to help give yours or my child(ren) an education.

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 7:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• To the one who thinks expecting others who are capable to help themselves as well is not Christian.... you haven't studied the bible much.

Conservatives do not have a problem with helping others or a problem with some gov help for others.What we don't want is HUGE government...outrageous taxes.being forced to pay for helping others who take advantage and are capable.We are more for private organizations who help those in need.

I do not bash people for getting help when they are doing all they can to get on their own feet.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I f you help people too much, they never learn to do for themselves.
    People need to be taught to not have children til they can afford to.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I understand that. But there are people being affected by the economic crisis who were taking care of their responsibilities. Why should they be looked down upon for trying to provide necessities for their family when times are tough. That's what those programs were made for.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'd really like to know where they want these people to get jobs too?

Have you seen the job market? We have a 10% unemployment rate here. And NO ONE is hiring. Not offices, not Walmart, not the hospitals (unless you are a nurse, then you can get a job), not the fast food joints, not the grocery stores, NO ONE is hiring. I look in our employment section (for a town of 250,000 and surrounding area of another 100-200K or so)... the only job listings are for nurses. Great for those who can handle that job, I can't. I'd need a nurse to continue reviving me if I became a nurse. Of course I am lucky in that I don't have to have a job.

So, where do you expect people to get a job? I mean, if they are asking for assistance they need the help. In most cases they have nothing left to move elsewhere, if they could even sell or rent their house (if they had one). I just think in these times, this argument is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Anon ~ I agree. I live in NJ and with the population here it's scary. The classified section is down to a page and only one tiny column of help wanted ads. The biggest problem, everyone is applying for them over-qualified, under-qualified, etc. So they are overloaded with resumes and you may never get a call back.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• the issue is the forcing of giving. charity is one thing forcing the payments to questionalbles by the government is another. most people are very good, caring and charitable and give quite a bit of their incomes to charity. the problems is when you have a certain government entity forcing you to fork over a large percentage of your wages, more than a tithe, you cannot control it once it is gone. when you have large numbers of people controlling large numbers of dollars being given out to large numbers of populations it can be manipulated and often is. by the givers who lie on their taxes. by the government who do not use all of it for the intended tax raises, and by the receivers who lie on the applications. at least with charity you can somewhat control where it goes and to who it goes to. everyone complains about the government and it's handling of katrina, cont
    Anonymous

• I am all for giving a hand up and helping people. I hate enabling those who will not help themselves.
    Anonymous

• I am very conservative, and I think its a HUGE misconception that conservative are just against people getting help period. Thats not the case at all. I just dont believe its the government's job to "help" everyone or to make me "help" everyone. It should be up to the individual and private organizations to provide assistance to those who need it. It would cut down on those who abuse the system and stay on it long term just because they can. What people dont understand is the more you get the government involved and the bigger the government gets the more corrupt it gets and the less freedoms we have. I do believe every person should work for their place in society, BUT for those who just cant (not those who just wont) there should be something, just not government engrossed.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think that the whole 'government helping us" is a crock... It doesn't help us... I went in to financial aid, food stamps, and wic... I recieve wic and it's great. It really helps out... The financial aid I went in for the day before I had my son (i was a month early and didn't think i would be in labor 24 hrs later) but the woman in front of me was asked "why do you need to RENEW your financial aid?" she replied with "i've only lived here 6 months and can't find work" ACCEPTED!!! I go up ENORMOUSLY preggo and they ask same ? I tell them I clean houses for a living and don't get paid maternity I just need help for about 6 weeks until I can return to work DENIED!!! and with the food stamps I got denied because someone else is using my sons SSN!!!! It's BULL if you ask me!!!! And from what I see these ppl getting "help" are the ones in designer clothes driving escalades and have more gold jewlery then I'd ever dream of owning!!
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 7:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• cont...but if it had not been for local churches and giving caring people the majority of that help would have never gotten there at all.
    if a person can help, they most likely do, it's the forcing of giving so much to something that has been proven to be corrupt since it's inception and having a person tell you what your going to do with your money who has proven himself to be a liar, a cheat and have questionable motives and affiliations.
    Anonymous