Breastfeeding with a nipple shield

My daughter turned a week old yesterday and the only way I can get her to latch on is by using a nipple shield. When I have tried without she can't seem to latch correctly and it hurts so bad. I need advice on how to break her of the shield without it being painful. I really really want to continue to breastfeed.

kstap_4

Asked by kstap_4 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't mean to pry.. but is your baby tongue tied? Do you have flat or inverted nipples?
    When there is truly a need it is encouraged to continue breastfeeding with the nipple shield until baby is completely ready to stop using it. However, nowadays it is very common for the need for a nipple shield to be misdiagnosed.

The best advice I can give you is to contact your local La Leche League. A leader there can help you figure out if it's important to continue with the nipple shield and, if not, how to wean baby off of it.
    If it's simply a latch issue then they can help you with that, as well. Good luck and congrats on the new addition!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• When I was using a nipple shield I noticed that he was sucking on just the nipple itself. So I took it off and when he went to suck like that, I got him to open his mouth wider and put more of my breast in his mouth. Not just the nipple. It hurt for a little while until he got it right. I hope that makes sense.
    KJDsMommy

Answer by KJDsMommy at 10:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009