Do you do the feed your baby table food at 6 months like the doctors want you to?

I tried and my daughter chokes on it. i think its kinda crazy they say baby food is linked to child hood obesity because they don't like textures of new foods...whats your opinion?

Julz315

Asked by Julz315 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should do what you feel is the right thing, you her mother, you know what's best. If you don't feel she's ready, then hold off a little while longer
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My baby girl is a little over 7 months and I havent given her any table foods. I look at her and I feel she is to young, I am afraid she will choke so I am just going to wait a bit longer. I didnt give my oldest table foods until like 10 months old and she is as healthy as a horse so......do what feels right I guess :) good luck!
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 8:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• my baby is 8 mo. we have tried giving her mash potatoes and thats it really becauase she doesnt have teeth. she is eating stage 2 foods and Mum's crackers.

at 6 months my doctor told us to start her on baby food. she is liking thicker things so we are starting to try introducing some table foods, but taking it slow since she still doesnt have teeth.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• babies don't learn tro chew right away its a process my son sucked on everything so that being said babies don't neccesarily need to have teeth to eat foods (obviously don't give them big chunks of well anything)

That being said if your kid doesn't like the taste of what he/she is eating they'll gag and pretend like tehy're choking... my little guy has actually mastered this. (picky already at 11 months)

but ya... thats why you have to introduce things like tabkle food to them slowly make sure they like them make sure they aren't allergic whatever...

and lkike a previousl poster said it is your choice what you do with your kid, no matter what anyone on here gives you for an answer it doesn't mean you will follow any of it.. .I just hope that what I said could help... you could just have a picky eater on your hands

Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 8:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Do what you think is best. You know your little one better than anyone else! Mommy knows best.

For the record, my almost 6 month old eats purees (stage twos) and sometimes table food here and there when we're making something I can easily mash up for her.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• U know one great thing is to make your own baby food..I did it and my daughter is enjoying it more then regular baby food...Recipe 1: drain an apple, wait till it softens (applesauce), blend it and u can either add sweet strawberries or berries...Try it...
    Yasminakin

Answer by Yasminakin at 9:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• in my baby book it says no table food til one year.. but as for him eating a bite of my carrots or peas, or a veggie.. yes, but i mash it with my folk.. our son is 8 months old, and he gets a few bites but mainly i chop up his food in a food processor.. he isnt even given juice, our ped applauded us on that one.. he said juice is just empty calories.. ive tried to give my son chicken, and he isnt a fan of that, but he does love turkey peas and carrots all chopped together.. it just depends on what your comfortable giving your child.. some kids still choke on pureed foods because of texture adversion. Kids are all different, and you as the parent have to do what your are comfortable with.. i fired our first ped because she didnt like what i had to say to her... so i got the head of the department to be our ped and he is WONDERFUL!!!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My daughter didn't have any interest in solids until 11 months. And that was perfectly fine. She is now 14 months and eats almost anything....she prefers veggies though specially green beans.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I offer solids when my babies show signs of solid-readiness..around 11-12 months.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I feed mine mashed potatos if that counts but other then that I do only baby food since he's only 6 months. Oh since he's getting teeth I have given him a celery stick to chew on he loves it I gave him a raw green bean tonight to try and he loves that too. Just watch for the little pods in the green been. I only do this because he HATE the frozen teething rings and you can buy cerley sticks in water and keep them in the fridge so they are wet and cold they work great. And if he eats it well thats ok cause A) it's a food and B) it breaks down into water anyways so it's the same as giving him water in his cuppy(sippy cup)
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2009