My baby is breast fed and still spits up??

I thought only formula fed babies did it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have had 4 babies, all spit up. The first 3 were formula and the last breast fed. All spit up equally. I know the last did best breast fed but he would sometimes spit up every bit that he nursed. Just try to burp the baby often. Keep the baby's head up after the feeding and good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Nope. And breast fed babies have reflux, too.
    Anonymous

• I agree. any baby spits up. It all depends on how fast it goes down, the angle and amount. It happens even when moms are sure all of that is perfect to decrease or not to happen. Just hang drool rags from every lamp and celing light! Is it alot all of the time? Then that's something to definitely talk to your ped about.
    Anonymous

• if your child isn't gaining weight or has lost any weight talk to you ped. if your child is throing up like the poltergeist they could have pyloric stenosis (depending on the age of the baby) pyloric stenosis is not that serious its just the thickening of the muscle at the base of the esophogas and it requires a very simple surgery...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 8:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It may be that there is something in your diet causing this. Common problem foods are anything that gives you gas, orange juice/citrus, tomatoes, chilies or anything spicy, stuff like that..
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• any baby can spit up.. regardless of BF or FF... Our son was EBF for the first 4 months, and he spit up, had reflux, so for his first 4 weeks of life he slept in his car seat and that helped so much... after that.. we put him in his crib, and i would put him to bed on his tummy and wow... what a bunch of farts being passed.. then after he would fall asleep i'd roll him onto his back.. now he's 8 months, eating solids, sleeps how ever he wants, no reflux since about 3 months...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• All babies can spit up....but breastfed spit up and poop doesn't smell as bad! Yay we get a benefit!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Oh my gosh. I breastfed my daughter till she was two and she had bad reflex. The only thing about breastfed babies from formula fed is that formula curtles in their bellys and breastmilk does not. So if your baby spits up alot BREASTFEED... it will help...
    sarabeth1

Answer by sarabeth1 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Breastfed babies are far less likely to have these issues, but they sometimes still do. Babies just aren't easy =(
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It doesnt make a difference. If your baby is going to be a spitter then theyre gonna spit up no matter what they are being fed. My son is on soy formula, and I have tried all of the tricks, and still spits up. If its a lot then bring it up with your doctor. I try to prevent it by feeding him upright, burping him, and keeping upright for at least 15 min to half hour after eating, and try not to jostle them around after they eat. That helps too.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2009