Baby's 1st Birthday-HELP (stressin)

I am lost. lol. I am not sure how to organize my son's upcoming 1st bday party. I would like to invite about 6 kids/babies to my son's first birthday party. We will have about 20 people total including the children. I have never thrown a bday party before so I am not sure the order of events. For example when do we have cake, presents, games, etc.? I would like for us all to play two games. We are going to serve finger foods like chips/dip, veggies/dip, wings, meatballs, etc. What do we do as the guests are arriving? Do we have the food set out and just let them feed as they come? Should we eat at a certain time? Could someone let me know what is the correct order of events? Also should we supply the highchairs, toys, and special food for tots or should we ask those parents to? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 8:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can do it in whatever order is best for your child.. (after all it is his/her day!!)

what I have encountered going to parties is first you let the kids play together fora little bit

Then you open presents

the you eat, allowing for time for the kiddos to smash face in cake etc (for 1st bday)

Then you can put your kiddo in the tub while a family member entertains the guests, and at this point people just mingle and what not so then your kiddo can go down for a nap or you could set up a nap area for the other kids and hang out with other adults...or else people kind of take off at this point
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 8:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Don't stress! There is NO right or wrong way to do this...the only thing that would be WRONG is to not have enough food and to forget to thank your guests.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I dont want to ruin your party at all..but just want to share my experience. you know I had a big party like that for my 1st son on his 1st b day..and he fell asleep and was so overwhelmed he really wasnt very happy. I learned with the next kids to just invite family and only close friends. They really dont remember that little. I dont have parties now until school age.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• When my son had his first bday. we just had family over and went to CiCi's (a pizza buffet place here in Pittsburgh, PA) and he just ran around, opened presents (with our help) and then we just came home and had the cake. we ended up just getting a small cake since the family was only comeing down for a short visit.

I wouldnt recommend trying to give them a nap while everyone is there because if kids know that there are guests in the house, they wouldnt wanna miss a darn thing and skip their nap. so i would say if he naps cuz he's over tired then just put him in his crib til he wakes up but other than that... i'd say keep the party goin til the kids drop one by one on sleep mode lol
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2009