do you ovulate when your on bc?

i know it prevents an egg from being released but are you still supposed to get the gunky stuff??

Julz315

Asked by Julz315 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it prevents implantation not ovulation.
    you still ovulate, hence the small % of possible pregnancy... like it's 98% effective..
    Anonymous

• No, it's supposed to prevent ovulation as well. In fact this is the main function of hormonal birth control.

Birth control works 3 ways.

* It prevents the ovaries from releasing an egg each month.
    * It thickens the mucous of the cervix so that sperm cannot travel easily through the vagina.
    * It affects the uterine lining, which is believed to make implantation of a fertilized egg difficult.
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well I don't think thats true. I was on the pill for 13 years and as far as I know, the whole reason for taking the pill is to "trick" your body into thinking your pregnant, hence you don't ovulate. Alot of people even get the weight gain and symptoms of pregnancy in the beginning b/c the body has to level off and get used to the hormones. When you miss pills then you have the chance of ovulating and getting pregnant. I had alot of unprotected sex with my fiance at the time etc etc and after 13 years I can surely tell you, when taken correctly, the same time every single day, it is the most effective form of birth control I've ever encountered. The problem is alot of people simply can't grasp the comcept of taking it every day at the same time. So to answer YOUR question, yes you still get all the pms, all the discharge, but its nothing like what you get when you actually ovulate.
    Anonymous