What are some ways that the welfare programs could be better if they were changed?

I think the whole system needs to be changed. I feel there should be a time limit someone is allowed to use the system for help, you have some that use it as a means for years and years. I also feel that if you go for help and you have 3 kids that if you get pregnant while on welfare the new baby is not covered, its all about responsibility. When someone applies for assistance and is given that assistance I feel pop up visits from time to time would be good, make sure that the person applying is not lying about there living situation, many are on welfare and lie about there spouse not living with them. If they get caught frauding welfare I feel they should not be able to get it anymore, also the foodstamps if they are letting people use there card for cash and get caught they should lose any benefits to them as well. I have seen people really abuse the system and then when someone needs the help they can't get it.

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 8:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree! My friend is on welfare and she does the work release program she has to have 20 hrs a wk in order to get her money but she live in IA.
    Anonymous

• LOL there is a time limit. once you have 3 kids u get nothin for number 3. number 2 is half!! the time limit is 48 months but they make u work, u cant sit @ home collecting. Thats what welfare reform was all about in 1997!
    Anonymous

• Work release program is for people in jail??
    Anonymous

• In florida you have to be doing something for 4o hours a week, Could be ged classes, lookn for a job or working at a helping hand! Id rather have a job then have to do all that.
    Anonymous

• this post might not go good...
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• what do you mean you get nothing? my two step kids and my daughter are on medicaid. that is 3. we just got approved for foodstamps recently. they only last for 6 months. then you have to reapply. also, i have to send in my paystubs every 3 months for the medicaid. no one has said anything to us about a time limit. i work limited amounts, my SO gets unemployment for now (he may have to apply for disability), his mom gets disability, and his dad has no job and cant get unemployment. i am going to start school this summer to finish my degree. it will take 2.5 years minimum for that.
    Anonymous

• there is a time limit on foodstamps...in SC in most cases you have to work 20 hours a week in order to get foodstamps...for medcaid you have to show paystubs.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• BRAVO, lisadallasr!! I think thats an excellent plan. If you go to Washington with this, I'd surely back ya, girl!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well I don't know about all the states but I know people who are on welfare a lot longer than 48mths. I also know here in Georgia its a joke the work program, they don't look into that, you take a piece of paper and get the manager to sign off on it if you applied, its not enforced. My problem is not welfare per say, I feel it is there to help those in need but I wonder how many are actually in need and how long does it take to get out of need. Lets say you can't find a job, then I feel they need to volunteer themselves maybe at a nursing home or something for 20hrs a week, pay it back to the community in some way until they can find work. I know times are hard now but I think the ones on the outside looking in would feel a lot better if they didn't see so much abuse within the system get overlooked.
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 9:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I think the overall idea is good. My sister is on foodstamps and has to reapply every 6 mos and prove her income and prove she still has the need. Of course she only gets $50 a month so that is maybe 4 days worth of food for her and her 2 children. I like the idea of only covering so many kids- except sometimes birth control fails. I think if a woman gets pregnant and she is on birth control (which means the effort to prevent was being made) that there should be an exception. Idk though- the welfare system needs a lot of work in a lot of areas. Having people that care as caseworkers would be nice too. When my dh and I were first together we needed it and the caseworkers treated us like trash. Sad how the abusers make it so bad for the people who really are in need of assistance.
    4angelsformommy

Answer by 4angelsformommy at 10:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2009