does my 15 month old have an ear infection?

he's gotten over a cold, and was acting normal. but after he woke up from his nap today, he was not himself and not able to have as much fun as normal. he felt warm too. i took his temp before bed and he had a 99.2 so i gave him tylenol, fed him his bottle and put him to bed. he wasn't tugging on his ear at all. could he still have an ear infection? i took his temp rectally, and w/ the same thermometer, i wrapped it w/ plastic and took my own orally to test if the reading was correct. my temp was 97.2 - does that mean it under reads by 1 degree and my son really has over 100? what should i do next? just let him sleep it off (hopefully)? what should i watch out for? should i go in and put a cool washcloth on his head? his little hands were hot too. i wish it is just teething, but he was just not himself this afternoon. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Temperatures vary during the day. 98.6 is just an estimate. Mine rarely goes above 97.8, for example. 99.6 was probably not a fever. A better estimate is as you have observed, that he isn't himself. But since he is just coming off of a cold, I'd watch him and check his temp from time to time. I've found a kiss on the forehead can tell you a lot about how hot he actually is without needing to use a thermometer unless he seems really hot. If the temp goes above 101, I'd call the doctor or take him in just to make sure, because of coming off the cold.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• He could have or he could just be ill from the cold. Just keep an eye on him. If he isn't playing or acting like himself then he should be seen by a doctor just to give him a little once over.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My son never tugged on his ear with an ear infection until around 1 1/2 so your son could have one. I would take him to the doctor just to be sure.
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 9:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• He could also be teething. My son tugs on his ears when he is teething. Also gets a cold as well. Its very common.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2009