5 day old... breast feeding ? and a poop ?

I just had my baby 5 days ago. She was very hungry and my milk wasnt enough so i started to subs but she always get bm first. yesterday my boobs were rock hard and I was able to pump about 2 oz total every 2 hours or so. today I am pupming just as much but it seems to be decreasing. not by much. it still isnt enough for her. how can I increase the bm production?
also my daughter hasnt pooped since yesterday at about 3 pm. when she does it is very little. like about 1/2 tsp. she doesnt seem like it is bothering her. but it worries me. she does pass gas. is there somehting I should do. she did this the other day and I had to give her a little sugar water. thats what made her poop yesterday. I dont want to keep giving her sugar water.

lindze0226

Asked by lindze0226 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry too much about her not pooping unless she is running a fever and has really runny poops. There are teas and stuff that help increase breastmilk, and there are many other methods. There is a group for breastfeeding moms that can help. Keep nursing her every few hours around the clock to get your milk supply up. Pumping does not work as well as actually nursing.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It takes longer for a baby to pass formula. Your DD can get more milk from your breast than a pump. Just keep offering BF and your supply will increase. Substituting formula hurts your supply.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Substituting is going to cause your milk to decrease so there's your problem right there. Also the amount you see in a bottle isn't a clear indication of how much you are actually getting to the baby. Breastmilk is made on supply and demand so by giving her the suppliment you've decreased the demand and therefore you're setting your body up for failure at breastfeeding. Also, sometimes breastfed babies don't go every single day. She doesn't need the sugar water. If she's not bothered then just wait and see if she'll have a poop on her own.

Bottom line...STOP THE SUPPLIMENTS TO INCREASE YOUR SUPPLY. You asked...thats how.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I agree with the pp newborns who are breatfed can be hungry every 1-2 hours, that is normal. Odds are you are producing enough milk. You can not compare to how much a formula fed baby eats, which anyway at first as far as I know is 2-3 ounces.

If you keep feeding her on demand ( which is recommended) that will help...giving her formula already as soon as your milk came in is damaging your supply.

Anonymous

• i would call your hospital or doctors office and ask for a lactation consultant to come to your home... we had one visit us, and wow... they are loads of info... as for the poops.. her little body is probably using everything you give her, so there isnt much waste.. and like one of the other moms said.. its supply and demand.. when you pump, its artifical, and your breasts can get use to that.. then they harden.. try feeding her more often, and then pump your excess, and freeze it, or put it in the fridge..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• IF you want to increase your milk supply the best thing to do is to nurse as often as you possibly can. Nursing every 45 minutes for 10 minutes is better than nursing every two hours for 30 minutes. Just keep offering your breast to her until you have established a healthy supply. Don't get discouraged, you're body is doing something it's never done before, it just needs to learn the cues from you and your baby about how much to produce. The reason people say that supplementing with formula can decrease supply is that it takes away from time that the baby could be stimulating your body and telling it to make more so you're body never makes what your baby is asking of it. As for the pooping, if it is not dry little pellets I wouldn't worry for another day. Then call the pediatrician. Also you can still call the nurses on the L&D unit at your hospital at this point if you are really worried. Congrats on the new baby!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• with my newborn, I was feeding like every 20mins or so the first two weeks until me and my son figured it out, I did not suppliment at all, and could not pump more than 1-2 oz at a time either but he was getting plenty, feed when ever she wants and that will increase your supply, and yes I agree with the other moms ( stop feeding her formula ) as long as she has 6-8 wet diaper a day, she is getting plenty too. The first few weeks are rough so dont be surprisedd it she wants to feed every 30 min to an hour ( it will get better and more time in between). my son also had a very small BM about every diaper and that is normal too, some breastfed babies can go up to week with having one and yes that is normal too. Good luck mama and I hope I have helped ease your mind some..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• For 5 day old doesnt need more than a few oz.'s at a time. Your body will make enough, stiop worrying about it. She is probaly constipated because you keep switching back and forth. Feed her only breast milk for a few days and see if it is beter. Stop supplimenting if you want to continue to breastfeed! Her somach is only the size of her fist at this point, and isn't used to being stretched yet. Do you really think more than 2 oz's is going to fit in something that small comfortably? Either you want to bf or not, but if you do stop screwing around and do it, your body will take care of her fine, if you are worried she isnt getting enough call and ask her DR. She wil also have growth spurts where she acts starved, this is her way of getting your body to make more milk, still no reason to suppliment. your milk sdoesnt come in for a few days so you probaly gave her formula before your milk came in.
    Anonymous

• Also she is drinking all of her food right now so she will not poop as much as she pees anyway. I little bit is fine cause thats all she converts to a solid before pasing it out of her system.
    Anonymous

• Stop worrying about her seeming satisfied...she won't! Just count dipes. Five changes today. Six changes tomorrow. Even a tiny wet counts.

Dump the supplements...they are making your life harder.

Did she pass the meconium? If so, don't wprry about the poop. If not., NURSE NURSE NURSE. Get her on the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2009