Why is it okay? Abortion

So, here's my question. Yes, grab the popcorn but honestly I'm not starting a fight, I'm just curious to people opinions.....
Why is it okay to abort a baby up to 23/24 weeks but if that baby was born, turn off life support without permission or kill it in general would be murder but the same baby in womb is not muder?
Killing a pregnant women counts as two charges of murder but the women can kill the baby with no charges?
Who decided a baby before 23/24 weeks wasn't worth living? But after that magical point you can't abort?

I'm trying to understand from a pro-choice view

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am pro choice and I don't think it is ok unless the mom is going to die if the pregnancy continues. I think there should be a 15 week cut off point.
    Anonymous

• Abortion is not ok.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• FYI it's before 20 weeks, and that's because after that, if the baby where born, it could in theory survive.

so is it wrong for a parent to pull life support off of a child? such as clinically brain dead?

I'm pro choice because put simply "IT IS THE PERSON'S CHOICE NOT MINE" If someone can't support a child, physically or even mentally, why force them to try? that just leads to child abuse, neglect, and even actual murder. I have no right to tell a woman that she MUST give birth to a baby. In the cases of pregnancy by rape, why in the world should a woman HAVE to go through the psychological issues involved with carrying the villian's child...

yes adoption is great, but unfortunately I see the majority adopting from other countries while our poor american children suffer.

technically a baby is not a baby UNTIL it is born. before that it is an embryo then a fetus.

Anonymous

• I am also pro choice, and in the case of the mother's life in danger, allow abortion at any stage. After all, if giving birth would endanger the mother's life, doing what they term a "partial-birth" abortion is going to endanger her life, as well. I wouild leave that up to the medical professionals to decide. In any other case, 12 weeks is plenty of time for a woman to decide if she wants to continue with the pregnancy or not, especially now when pregnancy can be detected as early as 2 weeks. If she hasn't had an abortion by 12 weeks, let the pregnancy continue and provide her with other options such as adoption. Along with this adoptions should be easier and less costly.
    Anonymous

• Anon- No, you can abort up until 23/24 weeks in the US!! Look it up, there was just a huge news story on a girl who aborted a 24 week old fetus, she pushed it right up until it was almost illegal. However, the abortion went wrong and she ended up actually giving birth to a live baby. They ended up throwing that baby away and in end, it died of course. It is legal unfortunately after 20 weeks...
    Anonymous

• I see the majority adopting from other countries while our poor american children suffer.

That's because they make it so damn hard and expensive here. We would adopt if it was not so hard.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 9:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'm pro choice and i think there should be a 10 week cut off. ...after that time the baby has a heart beat and brainwaves. ...it's alive and human. Not just a growing lump of tissue.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Its never ok in my book. I would die to let my baby live.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Moms who said it's not okay- Yes, I think that too but that's nto the question. I want to know why people think it is.....
    Anonymous

• ZaTa if you were raped or molested or if your daughter was would you still feel the same way? I doubt it. We can't make these decisions without living in the moment of that decision. Abortion is wrong when it is used as birth control.How can any person condem a woman for an abortion if they don't know why it is being done.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2009