How do I get my 19th month old to stop fighting going to sleep?

My son fights every night about going to sleep. We play an hour before bedtime, we change him and then put him to bed. We know his tired because he rubs his eyes and yawns but when we lay him down and he gets up and crys or bounces in his crib. Now we put him in a toddler bed (he broke his crib) and its worse. We let him cry and play but he wont go to bed. The only thing that works is to rock him but i dont want to keep doing that because he'll get too use to that . Help me!!

Threej

Asked by Threej at 9:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may want to lengthen your routine. With my LO, we set a time 15 mins before we get ready for bedtime. Let him know that when the timer goes off, we're getting ready for bed. The brush teeth and go potty, change into night time diaper and jammies, then read him a bedtime story.
    Since we started doing that, we have cut the fight down by 90%.
    We still get a bit of fussing here and there, but not nearly like it used to be.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009