how can i get my baby to latch on, now that he has been bottlefed for the first month of life?

I really really wanted to breastfeed my son. He was having problems latching on, and the both of us were getting frustuated. I decided to stop trying to get him to latch becasue he was so hungry, so i started pumping like crazy, but now its to the point where he only gets about 4-6 ounces of breastmilk a day. I want to know if it is at all possible to get him to nurse now? I have tried a few times in the last few days to get him to latch on, but he only sucks on the nipple, cuz he is so used to the bottle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try starting out with a nipple shield since that will feel more like a bottle nipple. Then if/when he gets the hang of that start to wean him off it by quickly taking it off in the middle of a feeding until he no longer needs it. Good luck Momma!
    Anonymous

• http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns

This helped me a lot. It's a Supplemental nursing system that feeds formula through a tube attatched to your breasts. Check it out. I'd definitely recommend buying one.

PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Here's a cheaper one. That one above is more expensive. This is actually the kind I used.

http://www.selfexpressions.com/startersns.html

PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• First thing, call a lactation consultant to come to your home.. they are free.. its a volunteer program.. they worked wonders for me in the begining days.. also, take your nipple in your hand, and make a "C" with your thumb above your nipple and your other fingers below and then take your nipple and gently graze it above your babies top lip and then dropp it in.. this will cause babies mouth to react to a nipple and thus help with a latch.. there shouldnt be any pain.. after a few times doing this, baby will remember, they were born to suck.. also, after you get a nursing session going pump your excess off and freeze it, or put it in the fridge. good luck, but definitely call a lac. consultant... if you dont have one in your area, call or get online for the La Leche League.. they will help you in getting started with nursing....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Offer him the breast every feeding. Try before he gets to hungry, and let him suck untill he just cant stand it anymore, your milk should come back pretty quickly that way. As for geting him to take the breast when he is used to the bottle...does he still have the reflex that he shakes and opens his mouth when you tickle his bottom lip? Just try, and try, and try again. You may need to hire a lactation consultant to get some one on one help as it is hard to tell you what to do when we are not there seeing it happen and what he is doing when trying to latch on. God luck, it will be hard, but worth it if you can keep it up.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• will he eventually get the hang of it again? or is it a lost cause
    Anonymous

• He can get the hang of it. I've known other mom's that did this. Call a Lactation specialist. You can call the hospital to find one or look up Le Leche League on the internet to see if there is one in your area.
    Anonymous

• Spend lots of time skin to skin with your baby, and encourage "comfort" nursing. Try putting baby to the breast at the END of every bottle feeding. Learn about the "Finish at the breast method of supplementation" at http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Good info from the poster above!

Please join us in "La Leche League Cafemom"!
    www.cafemom.com/group/lllcafemom

catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2009