Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home infested with mice, flies and roaches! Pondering ACS call

I went over to my cousin's home. It's infested with mice. The mice are running around and crawls on the children's bed. Flies are all over....clinging to the ceiling. The walls are filthy and roaches are everywhere. I couldn't stay long ad made sure I didn't take my 6mo old b/c of the filthiness but the reason I tolerated it is b/c I went there to pick up my niece. She's 3. In the home are 4 children; a 5& 6 yr old boy along with a 3 and 1 yr old girl. Their mothers have no sense of urgency in this matter and me and my sis are compelled to phone acs b/c we love these babies and can provide them with better homes. The mother of the 1 and 3yr old is getting high also. How frequent, I don't know. But her 3yr old, after leaving with her, told my sis and I that her mom went to jail with her "hands behind her back". What are all our options? We don't want them in the system long. What would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

Answers (8)
  • I don't know what your state regulations are but in most states they contact family first & see if there is anyway that they can live with the family instead of putting them in the system.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

  • Ohhhh,,,,wow. I believe if you call a case worker out to investigate then if deemed necessary you can receive custody automatically b/c you are a relative willing to take them.

    My friend is trying to adopt her neice and nephew but the mother refuses to sign over rights so it is being HARD. But the children live with my friend while the battle continues.

    If the birth parents put up a fight it can be hard.

    But I would start fighting. mice on the bed??? seriously!!!! call....ugggg...

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

  • i believe id talk to the moms first,.but if it were me id say to the mother"do you want me to take care of your children over night?"and then when she comes to pick them up etc..tell her that you dont think its appropriate for young children to be living in such filth.and if she protests and the cops are called then you can display to them your case that you dont think those babies are safe there.

    id do that before calling cps.but thats just me.are you talking about wanting thoses children in your care?well if so then id do what i stated above.and i really hope everything works out with all this.its so sad when babies grow up in homes like

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

  • that is disgusting!! definately call and see if you and your sister can take the kids or something. the home does not sound safe. and parents should not be getting high around the kids either.


    good luck! i hope it works out for you and the kids. that is horrible.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

  • I didn't even have to finish reading, CALL. Sometimes living with biological parents is not the best thing for a child. It's sad. But sometimes children are just better off with someone else.

    Answer by Buffie95 at 1:15 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

  • CALL! Let acs know that you are able to take the kids in foster care, they almost always try to place the kids with family or anyone the kids know first. This is the best way to help the kids AND the mother. The goal of child protective services to to help mom and get her kids back to her, not to take the kids away. Mom will be offered all kinds of services (rehab, parenting etc.) they will help mom get her act together, if that is what mom wants.

    Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

  • Oh goodness!!! Call NOW!! Those kids deserve a clean, healthy, safe environment. It seems clear that the mother doesn't care about the health of the kids. Alot of times CPS will place the kids with family rather then foster care if at all possible. Don't feel bad about calling. you're doing the kids a favor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • You need to call DCS and get the kids out of there.

    Answer by geenabelle at 1:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.