what are some ways to ease the pain of breastfeeding?

I am beginnning to wean my daughter, she is just over a year old. I need to know a few ways to release the pain from it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did mine soooo gradually that it never hurt. I would start with stopping just one feeding, then add the second, ect. ect.

If the pain gets too much, express just a bit in the warm shower. Yes, it makes you keep milk longer but it helps you get through it, and it will eventually stop anyways if you are not expressing a lot.
    Anonymous

• Wean gradually. Drop a feeding a week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• To help with engorgement, you can express just a little bit. Enough to relieve pressure but not enough to drain. You could also try putting chilled cabbage leaves in your bra. Switch them out when they get warm.

I do agree that you should gradually wean.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Let your LO wean themselves! My 21 month old is still nursing and our first weaned while I was pregnant and he was about 19 months old. Or as the other poster have said drop one feeding a week or so and cabbage leaves are great.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• When my son was 2 months old I developed a yeast infection on me and it was very painful. If its more recent I'd ask a nurse about it. I almost gave up nursing until I asked someone and had it figured out. Other than that I'd suggest to identify what hurts, when you nurse, when your baby just first starts, during the whole thing, during teething? I'd go from there. Good luck.
    Meant2BeAMommy

Answer by Meant2BeAMommy at 12:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009