How can I get my toddler to start potty training?

My 2 year old has expressed much interest in potty training...but he is scared of the toilet and therefore won't go near it. It's not the sound, but the shear size of it. I have tried showing him and reassuring him that the potty will only take away the pee-pee and poo-poo...but he always throws a tnatrum and yells "No! Done!" as soon as he gets near the toilet. What can I do to help him want to go?

sarahV08

Asked by sarahV08 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• GET A CUTE LITTLE POTTY WITH MUSIC ...THEIR IN WALMART...I GOT ONE FOR MY TWO YEAR OLD AND HELL SIT ON THERE WITH HIS LITTLE BOOK AND TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS....YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT FUN SOMETIMES
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• We also use a musical potty chair. It sounds a little tune whenever our dd pees or poops into it. It has a sensor on the bottom of the removable bowl. We take and keep it in every room she's in and we keep her in Dora panties that she picked out herself. The first couple of days she had accidents, but then started to recognize the "gotta go" feeling. When her potty seat does the tune we make a big deal out of it, you know, like clapping and saying "Yea! Pee-pee in the potty!" Then we take her to the big toilet and let her dump out her removable bowl. She says, "Bye-bye, pee-pee!" Like diamondmamma stated, you have to keep it fun. If your little one is afraid of the big potty, don't force it.
    Anonymous

• Um buy a baby potty...doesn't have to sit on the big potty to potty train.
    Anonymous