Would you have an abortion if you knew something was wrong with the baby?

I saw someone else's post and someone said if they knew the baby would be retarded they would abort.... that's awful, in my opinion.
At 16 weeks pregnant with my last baby we were told it has severe abnormalities... we carried, she ended up having Trisomy 18 and passing away at 29 1/2 weeks but I don't regret carrying her. It should not be my choice to take her life. She was still our daughter no matter what happened.
What do you think and what would you do?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• absolutely not my child a gift from god i would not do anything to ruin that all children are blessings no matter what
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Nope. Not at all. God wouldnt give you a baby with problems if he didnt think you could handle it. And agian.. with abortion in a plain subject.. its wrong. You can bash me all you want.. but i think a life is a life, even if its only an embroyo! Thats my opinion not yours.. so dont get hostel!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 10:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• First off, I am sorry about you losing your daughter..Secondly, my sister in law had a baby with anencephaly over the summer and it was painful for all involved. He lived for a few hours after birth. The foundation, Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep had a volunteer come and take pictures of him for the family and they still touch my heart to look at..To answer your question, I don't think I would abort either. Unless my unborn child was in so much pain from staying in my body. i.e. I ran out of amniotic fluid and my internal organs were crushing my unborn.
    Anonymous

• Mommy- i hope that wasn't directed at me, I obviously agree b/c I choose life for our daughter knowing she would pass away at some point....
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Honestly in my life today I would definitaly keep my baby no matter what! I'm not judging anyone for not doing the same though, because if I was younger I honestly have to say I might not have back then as terrible as sounds.
    Anonymous

• No that was not directed to anyone in paticular.. i was just answering your question and making it clear that it was my opinion! :D
    Im so sorry about your baby though, she will always be with you!:D
    And God bless you for choosing to keep her
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 10:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It was something I had to consider during my pregnancy when I chose to have an amnio. And at that time, we said yes, we would abort if there were serious birth defects. We know ourselves and a child with serious handicaps would be beyond our limits.

As it is, we have a child with Aspergers Syndrome and he stretches us as far as we can go. And Aspergers is a high functioning form of autism.

We all have to make what we feel are the right choices for our individual situations. I am sorry for your loss, and you are a stronger woman than I. When it comes down to it, I know my strength does NOT extend to doing what you did.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I know people on cafemom.. once abortion hits the question forum... they start bashing no matter what side your on.. pro life or whatever... thats why i said dont get hostel.. i didnt want to start a fight on your question
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 10:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Absolutely not. I have an absolutely wonderful little 1 yr. old boy who has Down Syndrome. I didn't know he had it before his birth, but it wouldn't have changed a thing if I had.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Mommy- Okay! Thanks for the words, God has givben us another miracle baby. She'll be here in 20 days. We have a two year old we were blessed with too. ;o) I know how good God is, even when bad thing shappen God is still good!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009