Kids call you Mommy/Daddy or, Mom/Dad.

Just had to ask. I raised my girls to call me and their dad "mommy" and "daddy". They are 14 and 11 and still choose to do so. However, my DH and his EX always had their son call them "mom/dad"- he's 9yrs. Do you teach your children what to call you based on what you called your parents, or just what feels comfortable to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine call me mommy or mom its the same thing in my book
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My two year old son calls us mommy and daddy. I expect when he gets older (7 or so) his peer group will put the pressure on to be more mature and call us mom and dad. I'm okay with that.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I called my parents mom and dad. But we make our daughter call us mommy and daddy. lol. I don't answer her if she calls me mom. I know it's mean, but mom is so drab...I like mommy better. I gave birth to her, she'll call me what I want her to call me. lol.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 10:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• my daughter calls us mommy and dad... but mommy or mom, daddy or dad... samething!
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my 16 and 17 yr old, will usually call me mom..but if I hear "mommy" they want something and if they call me "mother" it means they think I'm a dork, lol!!
    My 4 yr old and 21 yr old stick to "mom"
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Now that I think about it I never taught my son what to call me he just started calling me Mommy, but he calls me mom from time to time as well. I think now that he is 3 as he gets older it will always be his choice based on what he is comfortable calling me.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My children grew up calling me Mama and their Dad, Daddy. As they grew up i think a lot of it had to do with peer pressure because then I became Mom or Ma. Its all the same as long as they never called me by my first name.I have seen children call their parents by their first name and I thinnk its disrespectful.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my daughter calls us momma and daddy. im sure as she gets older it will be shortened to mom and dad.. but thats fine with me too
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 12:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2009