Birthday Present for step-son

I have a 10 y/o step son who will be turning 11 the end of March. He will be here with his dad and I on his birthday. I was just wondering what a good birthday present would be for him. He is really into video games and has just about everything in that aspect, so I was thinking of something he could enjoy to get him outside. Any ideas?

madelines_mom

Asked by madelines_mom at 11:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If you can find one, a pogo stick is a challenge.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• it depends what he's into, if he isn't into outdoors stuff, don't push that part. Since he likes video games, what about a gift card to a game store, or other accessories? If you totally want a change, then really think about what he might like and let him know if he doesn't hink its for him that you would love to know what he would like to exchange it for. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If you live in a warmer climate, something like a slip and slide would be awesome! It would get him outside.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My son is turning 10 next month. I am so excited to give him one of the things I bought. It is an agility ball. You can find them in sporting goods stores, but I did see them at Target. They are "balls" that the kids throw, but they are designed in a way (they are not spheres) to bounce back with the thrower not knowing what direction they will return, so it promotes agility. They seem like a lot of fun and are around $10.

motofamily

Answer by motofamily at 11:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I had an idea, maybe that you could use...let him have a sleep over for his bday. Invite some frineds, get some snacks and let them "party" and stay up all nite. My son is 13 and has done this since he was about 8 and he looks forward to it all yr long. He has kids stay other times too but his bday is the big all out party that he looks forward to all yr long. :o)
    PS. you are a good mom to take the time to ask advice and input. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• 11 is a good age to get him a skateboard. Skateboarding is really popular with the boys around here.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 12:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• A scooter? A bike? Something that the whole family can do together. My son is not an outdoorsy kid but he loves super soakers and the nerf guns that shoot foam darts at targets. We have contests to see who can hit more targets (or not hit the target).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• What about a bank/safe to start teaching about saving money and put some money inside so he can choose how he wants to spend it. Movie tickets or a DVD would be good to go with it. Here is a link for some banks/safes for kids http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=5&page=16

You should click through the pages because there are some good DVDs shown that boys like. 

What about a sports necklace ($3.99) if you would like to put that with the safe/money rather than a DVD.  http://www.cjkidz.com/Products.html  (sports necklace shown half way down the page).

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My ss used to love to skateboard. He took it everywhere. My son loves to rollerblade so maybe something like that. Oh, or a scooter!
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• If he likes video games, GET HIM VIDEO GAMES.

Say you get him anything anyone else says, and he hates it. You're going to feel bad. Ask him to make a list of the top 3 things he wants. If they're not too expensive get two or even all three. It's his birthday there's nothing like him being happy.
    kayceebug8741

Answer by kayceebug8741 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009