Do you let your child drink soda??

My one year old drinks soda about 2 times a day.. in her sippy.
What do you think? Do you give your children soda?

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 11:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has never had pop (soda) and she is three. I don't think there is any need for young children to drink it at all. I give her milk, juice, sometimes watered down koolaide, and for special occasions she gets chocolate milk.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• No, we don't serve him any sugared drinks at all, not even juice. Obesity is a concern given our families, so we work hard at keeping him on a very healthy diet. He has tasted soda, but that's it. He does absolutely love seltzer water, though. He makes a face like it's horrible, but he gulps it right down. It's hilarious.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Only on special occasions. Like b-day or if we have a fam. get together. But NOT on a regular basis. She sneaks sips of ours once in a while. Grr... But for the most part, no. She's already hyper. Don't need to add to it.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• If your giving her watered down kool aid.. its basically the same amount of sugar.. so whats the difference?
    :D
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Nope, my daughter has had a sip here and their and she is 3 years old. I don't give her any of this unless she sneaks and gets into it!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well i dont see the harm in a little here or there. She doesnt like it to much in her sippy though.. so i have to give it to her in a bottle.. because she will scream for it..
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Just a thought here... if you "have to give it to her in a bottle... because she will scream for it", consider the lesson you are teaching her. If you want something, just scream, and mommy will give it to you twice a day. This may be a burr in your side down the road... Just saying. :-)

(These are the kinds of things I wish people had pointed out to me...)
    Anonymous

• She does get what she wants though. Shes our princess... but she doesnt get EVERYTHING.. and she knows if we say NO!! She stops asking.
    Or screaming whatever.
    Thanks though
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• No soda for us. DH and I don't drink it so we don't even have it in our house to offer. He has had some juice, but not a whole lot and not everyday.

Honestly, that stuff is so bad for adults, let alone a child. I would not give them any in the future, but that's just me.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Our son gets sips of ours. I don't think its a big deal at all. I used to. I usually try not to give him caffeine though such as coke and mountain Dew. But sips of Crush orange or grape soda isn't a big issues or even caffeine free stuff. But i would never give him a whole sippy cup or bottle of soda pop not good for teeth, diet, or health period.
    Anonymous