Sleep problems

My son is 6 months old and every night at the same time goes to sleep and about 30 minutes later wakes up screaming for no reason I can't get him to go back to sleep and all he does is fuss around for 2-3 hours and then finally goes to sleep when I fight him to and then 30 minutes after being put in his bed he does it again and will only go back to sleep when I put him in bed with me.
What do I do?
I can't do this for ever because I dont sleep well cause I'm to worried about rolling over on him. That and he rules the bed anyways and pushes everyone out.
I dont know what todo. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started the exact same thing around that age. After weeks and weeks (and weeks) of just dealing with it, we finally decided to let him cio. I didn't want to, but I felt like I was out of options and at the end of my rope. It worked beautifully, and he's a good sleeper now.
    Anonymous

• for how long so I let him cry for?(OP)
    Anonymous

• I'm gunna guess it's gas. My daughter used to wake up screaming and it was always gas. So, I dunno. It might be.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Does he have a pacifier? My son sleeps with his, but sometimes spits it out and it wakes him up. I just go back in and put it back, and he's back to sleep. However, if your son does not use a pacifier, I would NOT introduce one now.

Maybe swaddling? Or maybe he's too big for that? He could be teething too. I remember my son would do that around that age when his teeth were bothering him. Your son is old enough for Motrin. If it gets REALLY bad, give him a dose to help ease his pain.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Two suggestions come to mind. One is the method of teaching your baby to put themselves to sleep. Routine getting ready for bed, lights down very low, ocean or white noise sound machine turned up. Lay them down and say good night. If they cry allow no more than 3 minutes before going in to comfort but DO NOT PICK UP rub their back and tell them it will be ok . Repeat until he/she stays asleep. Do not go in if not crying until you know they are asleep, they can be tricky boogers & catch you off guard. I did this at 12 mos (MUCH too late) and it took 3 nights: 5 trips, 3 trips and 1 trip. In the scheme of things not a very long time.
    If that fails (just have faith:) then by a wedge w/ sides and put that baby in the bed with you!
    Stay strong, it is a very tough problem but you will get through it:)
    Mama2SJT

Answer by Mama2SJT at 11:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Well I have give him gas med. teething tablets and used orel gel. He is still screaming and nothing and I mean nothing I do is helping. I dont know what to do for him and it's killing me. Yes he has a "ucky" pacifier and putting that back did not help he just spits it right back out/ He isnt showing that he's cutting a tooth but I know he should be soon. So I have also tried to feed him and I have given him tylenol and it's not been long enough for more or motrin. I'm at a loss. He has been crying since 10:12 and wont and hasnt stopped no matter what I've done. I guess I'm just gonna have to let him cry I dont know what else todo.
    Oh He hated and still does hate being swaddled not sure why he just always has ever since I had him. Weird I know.
    Anonymous

• Don't give up. It is SOOO hard to let them cry. Just go in there every 3 minutes or so (according to our nurse) and tell him is ok and walk out. Do make sure you leave the door partially open. You will be exhausted for a few days but he will get it and it only feels like forever. Like I said, I waited until about 12 mos to make sure my son put himself to sleep, and it was tough but worth it for all of us:)
    Mama2SJT

Answer by Mama2SJT at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• One more thing, be very careful with Motrin (always). It is linked to Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) which is pretty scary. Not trying to scare you (or anyone) but I think we should all be aware of what we are giving our children. It is not something they are either allergic to or not, it can come on after years of use or after 1 use.
    Anonymous