For moms who did homebirth

My midwife is coming for our first appointment on Monday and I was wondering what to expect/how to prepare.
Should I have a snack tray out so she can grab some food? I know she's not really a guest, but kind of.
Also, is there anything I need to do to prepare the house? Does she check my belly in the bed or on the couch?
I'm a little nervous as I really don't know what to expect for the first appointment

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are hiring this person to work for you but that being said I was raised in the South and my grandmother would roll over in her grave if I didn't show hospitality by AT LEAST offering her a glass of ice tea and some things to snack on such as cookies or cheese and crackers.

She can check the baby's heart beat and messure your belly WHERE EVER you are comfortable.

As for preparing sometimes the midwife will want to look at your tub if your planning to use it for labor and/or both. Other than that she will probably just ask you some questions about health and your preferances for birth.

Then there will be time to ask all the questions you want so have your list ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I think that as she is performing a professional service, try to keep it straighforward and professional. that being swaid tho lol i know myself and I would have maybe some cookies and coffe ont he table. Just invite her in, sit where you are comfy and simply say"Ok I do not knwo how we do this" lol I am sure you are not the first mommy to not know what to expect. make sure to have a list of questions ready that you have for her, and just go down the list. She will guide you thru it, good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2009