My child is 3 1/2 and she isnt potty trained or off the bottle

is this bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First question: Why did you post this in the Babies section.

Second question: Its bad if you havent tried to help her with these things.
    Anonymous

• As long as you aren't still breastfeeding her, it's fine.
    Anonymous

• I put it in the baby section because bottles are for babies! ive tried the potty training for a couple days but she didnt want to sit there so i gave up
    Anonymous

• Ok mom. Does she drink from a sippy cup? GET her one tomorrow!

Also it will take weeks or even months to potty train. I worked with my dd 3 or more months before she got it all the way.

Are you a real adult mother?
    Anonymous

• Yeah im 18 y?
    Anonymous

• um yea its bad considering you have a Toddler almost a pre-k child and they are still sucking a bottle like a baby would..Potty training is a little more believable. Its worse if your not trying to get her off the bottle and potty trained. The kid is three she aint gonna wanna sit still for a second, but you can't send her to school if she is in diapers and if you let her be the boss that looks like the place your gonna be!!
    Talk to your ped. they will have some tips for ya...as for hte bottle throw them away you don't even have to wean her she is way to old for that
    Anonymous

• If she only uses the bottle at bedtime and it is only filled with water, it's not a large problem but it may start affecting tooth placement soon. I'd suggest the "bottle fairy" visit your home.

As for the potty training, it takes patience and consistency. Take her every hour. If she jumps up and runs away, let her. Just keep taking her. Once she starts going in the potty, switch her to panties. Don't forget that nighttime dryness has nothing to do with daytime potty training. Keep putting her in a diaper or pullup at night until she wakes up dry every day for a week.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My neice has been potty trained since she was about 2 2 1/2 because she was able to start preschool at 3. And I think the bottle should have been taken away a long long time ago. It will mess up her teeth badly, and also cause them to rot. And it takes a lot more than two days to potty train a kid. Why would you just give up? Especially if she is almost 4 and not potty trained. You need to pick up some videos or something to help you out, and keep at it..
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• anon 11:32 Actually it is better if a baby is nursing at age 3 rather than drinking from a bottle. A bottle can cause malformation of the pallet and jaw, and cause dental problems later in life. Extended breastfeeding actually helps prevent the same problem. Please research before you spew false information.

to OP--no, this isn't BAD, but you should be working to rectify the situation. Your LO should understand at her age that she does not need a bottle. Throw a goodbye party for one--have family over, or "plant" the bottle in the ground (put a seed or two in there too) and watch it "grow." You should keep offering the potty to the little one, though don't push it. If you read past questions, you can get a good idea on how to start. GL mama!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• wow, its not bad, but its certainly not great, and it doesnt reflect that well on your parenting skills. I used to babysit a little boy who was 4 and not potty trained, and i tell ya, I couldnt get past it. My little girl was potty trained before her 2nd bday. She was off the bottle at 11 months....
    Throw the bottle away. Bring her to the potty every hour or so, and reward her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2009