Question for the extended BFing post...

Some people say that at 4 years old the mother's milk has no nutritional value anymore. So my question is at a certain age, the milk just loses all it's nutrients? It no longer has any benefit? At what point does this happen then? When a child turns 1, mom's milk just becomes of no nutritional value?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Health

• Funny. And, no, of course that's not true. It's ALWAYS beneficial. That's why some adult cancer patients drink it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• WHAT. I have never heard of adult cancer patients drinking b.milk??!!???!!???
    Anonymous

• Yup, they sure do. Very interesting...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It never loses nutritional value. The source you heard that from was mistaken
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• It NEVER loses nutritional value, EVER. That''s why researchers are indeed looking to breast milk for cancer treatment and other cures.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I'm curious...and not trying to be rude or "funny," but where do they find donors for breast milk for the cancer patients?
    I sure hope it does work for them, but if breast milk cannot be synthetically recreated, then how on earth can they obtain enough supply for every needy cancer patient if it turns out to be effective treatment? My goodness! Can you imagine some women trying to get rich off of selling their breast milk to the highest bidder?
    Anyhow, I sure hope that something is found that helps with cancer treatment and I hope federal guidelines are set up quickly if it does turn out positively.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009