• In the Spotlight:

How does your child address other adults?

Do you let your child call all adults by their first names? Just close friends? Do they address most adults with Mr. , Mrs., or Miss (Ms.)?
Growing up I always called adults using formal titles (Mr., Mrs., etc) but I rarely hear kids doing this anymore.

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 11:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• All of our kids use the proper titles; Mr., Mrs., Dr., Pastor whatever. I still do myself, unless they ask me to use their first name.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Growing up, my brothers and I called most adults by their first name, but my husband and his siblings always use Mr, Mrs, Miss. It's much more respectful, and that's how we're going to raise our children
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My kids always use Mr. (first name), Mrs. (first name), ect. Our really close friends they call them Aunt or Uncle. My kids are not allowed to address an adult just by the first name.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My children do not address adults they dont know. If they must talk to someone they havent yet me and the father are there to help with the introduction. But with the people they do know its excuse me mam or sr. Family its mom, dad, papa, grandama ect.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Mr and Mrs and if its ok with the adult than by their first names.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• When I was growing up I was tought to use Mr or Mrs and the last name for anyone other than family. Especially teachers. I had a teacher that was also the mother of one of my friends and I never addressed her informally. That was in South Dakota. Now I live in Alabama and the children address the adults, even teachers, as Mr. or Mrs and the first name. To me it still doesn't feel right to address someone so informally. I guess it just depends on the area, culture and other factors.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 12:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Shes only 2 & is just learning sir/ma'am. but it will all depend on the person. Mr/Mrs for teacher definatly. Our friends will be called by their first names & anyone we dont know it will all depend on what that person prefers really..
    (my family taught us Mr/Mrs. but they ALL hated being called it & they taught us to say sir/ma'am but we never used it at home or around family- "thats for old folks & im not old"-says my 70yr old grandma)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my 4 yr old just says "Hi I'm Dylan, What's your name"...
    My 3 older girls won't adress anybody unless they know exactly who they are. Otherwise teachers are Mr. or mrs. And Drs. Are always Doctor such&such and a pastor is always referred as Pastor then the first name..
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Personally, I hate that Miss..insert first name.. thing. And I hate it when another adult refers to me as Miss insert first name. I'm an adult. Use my name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my daughters only 4..so she really doesnt say anything that has to do with the persons name...at preschool its Teacher ____ and Teacher _____ (theres 2 teachers) other than that...its just auntie or uncle..lol..i grew up always saying mr or mrs to my friends' parents..

a few months ago when i was at work one of my old teachers came in..Mr Allen..he was my PE teacher, and volleyball coach, and science teacher..and when he came into my work i was like HEY SCOTT!!! (its been 10 years since school).. and he was like..its Mr Allen to you..and im like no..im old enuff to call you by your first name..hahahahaha then i turned around walked away..lol..mr and mrs are for people i respect..i dont respect him anymore cuz he ruined my volleyball carreer!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2009