Did anyone ever have depression after the birth of their child and what wwere the ways of coping it?

I had depression after my daughter was born and because of my culture I had to repress it and not even express it..I always put a show whenever anyone saw me...It was like I did not have anyone to help me through it..It took a while to recover...I would like to hear other moms who went through it. It is important to know so that I can help my sister through it by ur stories...I mean I can tell my sister my story, but ur stories may be different and can help her through it. Thank you for time and help :)

Yasminakin

Asked by Yasminakin at 11:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did because I had to go back to work and my dd was still in the hospital for another month.
    I wish I could help about how to get over it, my DR. told me to get over it.
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 12:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• yeah its normal its called postpartum depression and i know alot of moms that went through it the only way i got through it was taking time for my self a lil selfish i know but when my dd was a sleep or not needing my direct attention i would slip off to be by myself for 30 mins or so take a shower or something gave her and her father time to bond also its hard but its something that everyone in my family has had so i was easier for me cause i had my mom and grandmom to help out for the first couple months the only thing that helped is taking a lil time for myself i hope that helps you and your sis out good luck and just stay strong everything will be ok
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Im sorry, but I just got over it. I had it bad after my last baby. I didnt want my husband to touch me or to have anything to do with him or any adult for that matter. What sucked most about it, is my husband wasnt there for me. I add to be there for myself and my children, he went through the same thing for 5yrs and I was there for him, that was the only think that made it harder for me, but i did it. without a mans help. I am stronge and so will be your sister.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• yes I had PPD and my doc put me on zoloft for a couple of months and it has helped a lot...i wanted nothing to do with my DH and I was starting to get frustrated with my DD so i decided to get some help. don;t worry about what anyone else thinks about you...you need to do whats best for you and your baby.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• U guys are great..i really appreciate ur honesty and ur time...God be with u and ur families :-)
    Yasminakin

Answer by Yasminakin at 12:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• First I HAVE to tell you that there is a difference between the "baby blues" and TRUE post partum depression. The baby blues will go away on it's own after a few days. TRUE PPD does NOT go away on it's own. It requires counsling at the very very least and often some medication. PPD can turn into PP Phycosis which is what the mother's who have killed themselves or their children had. Andria Yates had PPP, the women who cut off her baby's arms had PPP. IT'S NOT SOMETHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH!!!!

Cultural issues or not if your sister is suffering from TRUE PPD she needs to see a doctor IMMEDIATELY!!! She could end up hurting herself or her baby.

Other than all of that talking and getting out of the house help. If it's just the baby blues than feeling like her old self will help her recover more quickly.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I saw my doctor and he put me on Lexapro.

It's not a cure-all but it has helped immensely. Also, time has helped a lot as well. Now that my daughter is interacting with me more I'm a lot happier.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I had to be put on zoloft as well cause I went Bazonkers..

I didn't have any bad feeling towards the baby...no I loved her more than anything, but I felt that *I* was lacking somehow and everyone was disappointed with me. And I also cried and cried for no reason.
    The pills help, but so does the passage of time. Time heals all.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• thx guys ur great
    Yasminakin

Answer by Yasminakin at 11:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2009