Just put her down...

I just put my 10 month old down in her crib. Presently, she is screaming her head off. I need her to sleep in her own bed, and nothing has worked. She won't be rocked to sleep, walked to sleep, patted to sleep... I've tried so hard to be a "nice mommy" about it. But she won't sleep unless she's in my bed and that is not working for us. So I'm at my last resort and trying to let her put herself to sleep, but she just keeps crying and crying.... What do I do? She's making ME cry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Isn't that the worst thing to hear your baby cry? My heart still aches when my boy cries for more than a minute or two. We did the nighttime routine (warm bath, nursing, read a book), put him in his crib, let him cry for 5 minutes, go in and rub his belly and reassure him. Go back in 5 minutes if he's still crying, repeat. The next night was the same routine but for 10 minutes, the following 15. Maybe we just got really lucky, but by the 4th night, he went right to sleep with no problem. He still does to this day. Maybe God was making up for the fact that he didn't sleep through the night until he was a year old. :-)
    PeachMom329

Answer by PeachMom329 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• She needs to learn to sleep by herself, eventually she'll calm down and fall asleep. They all do, just check on her without her knowing it.
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• we put on a dvd and let him fall asleep watching it... it helps with the crying bc they r distracted and since they r in bed they just fall asleep...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• they will cry for the first few days till they see that you are not going to give in. If you watch the TV show the " The Nanny" she works with this all the time.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My son thankfully will be rocked to sleep. But sometimes even him being rocked won't work so I keep him in his crib and let him cry,I wait no more then 3 mins and go back in and try rocking him asleep. If this doesnt work still then I let him cry it out until he is calm. this usually works and I rock him to sleep. If that doesnt then I let him cry and he eventually falls asleep. Its the WORST thing hearing your child cry/scream but sometimes you just have to do it and know in the end it will be the best for them!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Try teaching him a bed time routine & stick to it! example: dinner, bath, a lil light playtime (nothing that will get him to excited) then maybe have him "help" clean up his toys--read to him--lay him in his crib & sing a song or so while patting.. then leave the room..
    kids ussually are very good & respond well with a routine. if they know whats happening next, their body will learn to go with the flow. but pay attention to your kids cue's too--some babies a bath is best in the morning b/c it wakes them up, others its best to take a bath at night because its relaxing. Whatever this routine is stick to it solidly for a week if possible & hopefully (nothing in parenting is perfect!) things will get better.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I agree with routine. But also, if I was in your shoes (and I have been) I would pick my baby up and soothe her. My DD is 16 months and I went through HELL with her sleeping habits. I did try to CIO and she did not take well to it. She screamed and screamed, was much more clingy during the daytime, and slept worse than ever. I gave up after 6 days of CIO. It took 2 months to get her to sleep more than a half hour after I abandoned the CIO method.

Look into the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. Ive gotten some good info from her and her method. I believe strongly in providing a safe, comforting atmosphere for children to fall asleep in. By comforting my LO at bedtime and responding to her needs for sleep, I now have a baby who will fall asleep without rocking, if I am right next to her. Eventually I will not be next to her, but she will know I am always *there.* She sleeps well at night, and during naps. GL mama!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• unfortunately, there is the CIO method, but here is one way to expand on it so that its not so "cruel" put baby down in crib, walk away where baby at least cant see you. wait 5 min, go back in if still crying, pick baby up, soothe baby, lay baby back down and leave again, wait 10 min, repeat, wait 15 min, repeat, wait 20 min, repeat, ect. just go up to 5 min increments everytime, this way baby knows you are near, and maybe you can get something done, and break baby of wanting to sleep with you.
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 6:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2009