Why do so many women think universal health care will work?

In every country on earth where there is universal health care, it is abysmal. I lived in Canada many years (am a Canadian) and the universal health care up there is awful. If you need an MRI, you could wait up to a year, average wait time is 9 months, by then its chronic. The system is overloaded, and diagnostic testing is NEVER a priority. The government prioritizes people with very obvious diagnoses. Our friend had early MS symptoms, after 8 month wait to see a nuerologist, she was told her symtpoms weren't advanced enough and the govt did not want to pay for a bunch of tests when she MIGHT have MS. When she starts shaking and MS becomes more obvious, then she will get treatment.

Universal health care SUCKS. The Mayo clinics #1 international customer is Canadians who cross into the US to pay out of pocket. Tons of Canadians do it. Why are women so blind to the fact that health care will be WORSE when universal?

Obama-Delusion

Asked by Obama-Delusion at 12:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• quality in canada is also horrible. If you want QUALITY you will not get it with universal health care. Its nothing more than a "herd" mentality...herd em in, roll em out. There is no quality whatsoever. It is a really terrible system. Govt run systems are awful, yet for some reason women in the US love the idea.
    Obama-Delusion

Answer by Obama-Delusion at 12:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I think they are stuck on the HOPE mentality, and hope it works, and hope we get it. It will never come to pass in this country, there are too many lobbyists, politicians being paid by drug companies, and too many old politicians on both sides that need expensive prescriptions, doctors and hospitals. The politicians don't want it for themselves, they'll never get it, the Dems just keep running campaigns on the issue because the poor vote for it, and democrats do too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I am in Canada and I have always gotten great service. And there are services covered that most people don't even know about. Right now my sister has an occupational therapist for her dyslexic son and it is completely covered. I am in ontario and I have no idea what I would do with out my tele-heath. I have home visits from nurses that are covered too.
    I love my health care
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I completely disagree with universal health care. I think people misunderstand and think that universal health care will open the doors to unlimitted medical care for all. The opposite is actually the case. First of all, we will be taxed to death so that the government can afford to pay these medical bills. Secondly, with the government as the only insurance and with no other competing insurances to offer to pay more for services, the government will be able to set the price for how much proceedures cost, how much hospitals can make and the salaries of health care workers. Without the ability to profit adequately for the services they are providing, hospitals will struggle (and already do struggle) to provide care, new equiptment and the most updated of resources to their patients. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• (cont.) There isn't unlimitted money for everyone to get the tests that they want whenever they want. The government will have to opperate like a regular HMO in order to attempt to keep on budget. This means they can deny tests and medications to you (which then you'd have to pay out of pocket for them anyway). I do not want the government telling me what tests I can and can't have. I like that I can choose my own insurance company and plan based on what my needs and ability to pay are. My medical information (much of which is required to be disclosed in order for medical facilities to bill) is also none of the government's business.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I WOULD RATHER HAVE UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE AND HAVE TAXES RAISED THAN PAY FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANCE!! UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE IS SOMETHING THAT WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM!! JMO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The people who want it, want everything for free and do not stop to think how the government would handle it. Have you been to the DMV??
    Many years ago I saw how women gave birth in Russia. They had all the woman in a large room and the doctor would just start with the first woman by pushing the babies out, The nurses help by pushing on the women belly. The doctor never change his gloves. This is where we are going ladies. WAKE UP!! we will have to pay one way or another.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I don't understand how anyone can support universal health care. Less people are going to become doctors because there won't be the monetary incentive to become a doctor anymore, not to mention that they'll be flooded everyday with patients!
    Once health care is "free" to the citizens, people are going to be going to the ER for colds and flus, and it's going to be completely flooded and when someone with a real issue comes in, they'll be waiting forever because of all the idiots with colds.
    I think it's really sad where we are headed, but it's going to happen
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• To add, I also do not want to be a part of footing everyone else's bill. I laughed when a few moms commented on how outrageous it was that someone dialed 911 because McDonald's ran out of chicken nuggets. That story made the newspaper because calling 911 for that reason isn't common in that area. Don't be mistaken, calling 911 for stupid crap is VERY common in many areas. My husband is a paramedic for Washington D.C. and his best friend a FF/EMT for Philadephia. People call 911 (the ambulance) because they want their furniture re-arranged to look nicer, because their roomate lost their hairdryer, because they stubbed their toe, because they want a prescription for narcotics, because their friend didn't pay back their drug money, because they had a headache two weeks ago (but it's gone now) etc. That's my tax dollars already being wasted. I can't imagine having to pay for EVERYONE on top of already paying for that lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You know I'm on the fence with this one. I know what its like to not have health insurance. Its hard for me to say whether its better for people to wait to see a doctor BECAUSE of UHC or not see a doc at all because they have no insurance. And thats the boat millions of people are in right now. Its not really fair to them either.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2009