Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to change DD's last name....

I have two kids from a previous marriage. Yes, I was married when I gave birth, and he is listed as the father. He pays support. He has not seen or talked to the girls in three years. I have no address, no phone number on him. DD (7 and 5) still have his name, although no one in his family act like they exist. I have remarried, and would like the girls to have the same name as me and their "dad" and little sister. I know I need bio dad's permission, but what do I do since I have no clue where he is? Last I heard he was on the other side of the country.


Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • the state will not provide contact information to either parent, custodial or not. you need to place an anouncement in the local paper of his last known location. he has a set time to respond and refuse to allow the name change, if he fails to respond in the alloted time, you may change their name without further complacations.

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 4:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

  • You have to find him and he has to agree and sign the paperwork. I know this for a fact, because I changed my childrens last names! Good luck, that sucks:(

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

  • If you are receiving child support from him, how do you not know how to find him? If it comes through the state, call and ask if you can get his contact info from him. They could probably at least give you his place of employment and you can go from there.

    Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

  • If you can afford an atttorney file to have his parental rights taken, and he will pop up hopefully, since he pays, if it comes through the state you have a legal right to location info. Your best bet is to hire an attorney though.

    Answer by JBOYD4 at 3:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2009