What do you do with a healthy 14 year-old dau who is concerned with her weight

I feel my daughter may have an unhealthy view of how she perceives herself. She didn't make the cheerleading squad and blames it on her weight when really I think it was inexperience that was the culprit. What can can I do to help her realize that losing weight and obsessing over calories is not the answer?

MichelleJ23

Asked by MichelleJ23 at 12:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• just b/ c a girl is in a sport does not mean that they have a great self-image. I was a soccer and swimmer and went from not eating for days to binging on a reg. basis nor was I the only one.
    I'd get her into gymnastics/cheerleading class so that she can do better next year, watch to make sure that she continues to eat healthy and let her do excercise if she wants so that she can tone.
    Continue to moniter her eating and expose her to as many actually healthy woman images as possible and wait, don't go toooo overboard and/or obsess just stay low key unless she actually starts going to far.
    This is a great time for her and the family to learn and study good nutrition and good cooking. Turn it into a positive for everyone.
    Nowadays, its almost just a stage of development, but you can twist it into a positive. And stay aler.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• If she feels fat but is really just healthy, encourage her to join a sport. Those girls are always really fit AND healthy because they eat lots, use lots of energy, and have a healthy and confident self image.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2009