Does extended family help you..........

Does any family members help out with your kids on a regular basis, or, are you and DH on your own for upbringing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• my family doesnt help out, im a single parent so im on my own.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• DH and I are pretty much alone. My mother lives almost 2 hours away and my sister is a 3 hour plane ride away. DH's mother lives 3 blocks away but is completely useless
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• mine would but they live to far away but when they come they help
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• yes me & dh are very lucky. we have my mom, dh mom & stepdad, dh grandparents, dh aunt-- we live with my mom & dh family has to see my dd atleaste once a week (they ussually come get her on saturdays for a few hours & she spends the night with them 1-2 night a month)... if none of them can keep her then we also can call my sister to keep her-but thats never really but still nice to know we have about 5 people to call for baby sitters... We dont yet allow non-family to keep her though.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• MommaTasha1003, you are very lucky indeed. I had a co-worker who had 2 young kids. Her and her husband both worked during the week and never saw there kids on weekends because they had 2 sets of the kids grandparents dying to care for them. One set of grandparents even took these kids on vacation with them! My husbands boss also has this ideal situation where one or both sets of the grandparents actually go on vacation with them so they can watch the grandkids while he and his wife can relax without interruption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• HHhhmmm...I was supposed to have help? from family???...LMAO!! I wouldn't know how to handle it if any family on either my side or hubby's side helped out! Heck if hubby helped me out I would have to ask if was "up to something" because even though I am married I am still doing it all on my own!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My in-laws take my children overnight every Wednesday and watch them whenever else we need them too. They take care of the children when I have to go out of town. (My mom and I do a lot of travelling to see my brother in the Army.) My mom helps out by spending tons of money on clothes for the girls. I don't ask her to, she just loves to do it. And my dad comes by to play with them for hours while I get stuff done around here. He also buys all their art supplies. I'm really happy my kids have such wonderful grandparents.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 7:15 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My mother in law runs a daycare so our girls go there when we have business to take care of. It makes it really nice because I do not have to worry about the person that my girls are with.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I have family withing 1/2 mile and 12 miles of my house. We have never asked for help. It was always just understood that we got married and had kids it was ours to manage. We are now the adults. If we thought we were grown enough to do this amazing thing, then, we should go and do. They will baby-sit if asked, but I usually hire someone close by. Those within 1/2 mile are medically fragile and can't really help.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I grew up in an extended family and so do my children....I think it is the best way to go.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009