What should I go to college for?

I went to college for Computer information and office systems in 2007/2008 year. I want to go back this fall for something that I can do for the rest of my life... and enjoy! ya know? I know no one can answer this question for me, but I could use some ideas of what there is out there to do.
I did not like the CIOS certificate that I was going for, it really made me realize that I do no want to sit in front of a computer all day... and how boaring it really is. SO... I was thinking Nurse would be great, It would keep me busy and it pays great. But I don't know if I could stick people with needles.... I du know how I could possiably test that either! Than I thought, a Vet would be great, I know I could deal with working with and on animals, it's not quite the same as people... I just know I could do that.. but I don't think there are any colleges that do it in Alaska... I love biology but do not know what I could do as a job.

Jabrw0ke

Asked by Jabrw0ke at 1:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to ask yourself these questions: How long do I want to go to school for (you go to school a lot longer to be a vet than to be a nurse)? Does the type of job I want require more education than I am willing to obtain? Will the jobs I am considering support me as a career? Will I be able to do all aspects of the work involved in the careers I am considering? For example, nursing involves math, a lot of continuing education, bodily fluids, shift work, customer service and a lot of time spent charting and on computers. It isn't all patient care. What is available at the colleges I am able to attend? (Find Alaska colleges here: http://www.alaska.edu/parapro/akcolleges.htm). See what majors they offer. If you're considering health care, visit hospital websites' "hiring" pages and see what types of jobs are available and what the requirements are for each type of job.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:55 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Nursing is a great job. There are so many levels you can go into. And once you learn how to draw blood or give meds by needle its a piece of cake. You wouldn't think twice about it. You'll always have a job no matter what the economy does. You'll always be moving around...even across the nation and world if you want to.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• There is so much you could get a degree in Physical therapy, Occupational therapy, nurse, Dental assistant.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Anything in the medical field, dental assisting I did that for 15 years and loved it, massage therapy did that for two and you make Great money, nursing, medical transcribing which would work good with your computer training! Good Luck!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Nurse is great. Physical therapy has a better earning potential, not as much shift flexibility. You are looking for more professional than technical? You can go to school for awhile and afford it? Vet sounds good. You seem to like the health professions and people and animals? I would take the time and money to do an inventory at a college placement center. You can get some objective feedback on what job you would be happiest in. Consider interviewing some nurses, vets and physical therapist and ask if you can spend some time observing them. I read the book What color is your parachute and it was suggested to really spend time with people who do the job. I discovered what I thought I wanted would have been a very poor choice. Ask around here for people to answer questions, give you opinions abou the work they do. I would be happy to talk more about nursing with you. I have 25 plus years experiences.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I dont know about nursing.. i would get my CNA and see if you can do it.. cause its not for everyone.. i did the CNA first and i was like no there is no way in hell that i could ever do this everyday for the next 10 20 years..
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 1:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Miss-Nevin, the thing about doing the CNA is that if I decide to do nursing (which I'm really considering, because I read some things about it that made me feel better about the whole blood thing), my money is gone, and I do not feel like wasting any more money, or any more time. I've worked in daycare for the last 4 years taking care of babies 0-3 years. I know it's not the same, but it's simmilar.
    Jabrw0ke

Answer by Jabrw0ke at 2:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009