how long does it take to dry up?

How long days it take for breast milk to dry up usually? Not feeding baby any more. No bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• antihistamines/decongestants will slow down the production significantly. they work on the mucous membranes by contracting them to stop mucous flow (runny nose, sinus congestion), which makes it "dry up". they have the same effect on milk ducts. i have never stopped producing since my first pregnancy 8 years ago. i have had two subsequent pregnancies, and nursed my 2nd for almost 18 months, and my 3rd for 11 months. he is almost two now, and i am still producing a reasonable amount. a lot of it is hormonal, and if you have a lot of stimulation- then it could continue indefinitely. it takes almost 5 years after weaning for a woman's hormones to return to "normal". so within that time, it is not uncommon to produce small amounts. stay away from heat pad, pumps, etc. you will continue to produce as long as you are stimulated to do so. try taking an OTC decongestant, and using COOL compresses, also wear a supportive bra.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• it differs with every woman.... I slowly weaned dd so my supply was almost gone by her last feeding. I think 1 mo. later I tried to squeeze some milk out & could not. but some ladies have said they still lactate months later..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I can;t have it be months, this hurts so badly having them engorged! I've tried everything from cabbage leaves, warm compress, pumping slighty, hot showers. Taking meds that son can't nurse with. My one breast is fine and the other seems to over produce!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I would join the breastfeeding moms group. If weaning was done gradually, you should not be suffering from engorgement.

My gf breastfed her son until 11 months. He just turned two, and she can still squeeze milk from her breasts. She has not suffered any engorgment.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• you can ask your dr for a pill to get rid of supply, but dont know how adviseable that is
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 6:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My Dr. doesn't give anything to help dry you up but she did tell me to take Sudafed. She said Sudafed slows down the milk supply. I tried it & dried up in like a week.
    Mom2theBBboys

Answer by Mom2theBBboys at 7:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The warm compresses and hot showers may be hurting your cause here. Heat encourages your milk to let down, which also encourages more production. I know it feels good, but try to avoid it and only use it as a last resport when you're desperate. When you're engorged, use your hands to express just enough to give you relief. Use cold compresses, not hot.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2009