• In the Spotlight:

I have a 33 month old son. I jHow canust began potty training him about a week ago. Haven't had any luck yet. Is it to soon to see results?

I need ideas to make this potty training ordeal easier.

pichis11

Asked by pichis11 at 3:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it took me a year and a half to potty train my son...he's very stubborn! lol! He was potty trained both day and night time, 3 months shy of his 4th birthday. Just remember to be patient and that all kids are potty trained in different lengths of time. It will just click for him that "Oh! This is what I'm supposed to do!" and you'll both be happy. Also, rewards do work! :D Anything from a couple of m&ms to at the end of the week a visit to McDonalds or a movie (or something fun to do that he likes) for going on the potty every day for a week straight. We also made a big deal out of big boy underwear and made it exciting for him to go pick out his own with Lightening McQueen on them! lol! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and good luck! :D
    myanne

Answer by myanne at 3:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• So the first time I read this question I read 33 weeks and I was going to ask you how in the heck you planned on making that work! I know it sounds terrible, but target practice with Cheerios or something similar has worked with a lot of boys I know. My son was an easy one, but a friend of ours would have rather pulled her own hair out than continue trying to potty train her son. Get some books that are specially for the bathroom, and take him in to sit every hour or so for a few minutes that way you may catch him off guard and he may just go!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My gf set a timer. Every 15 mins the timer buzzed and it was time to sit on the potty. Even if the chid didn't go, she gave him praise and sent him on his way. 15 mins later they would visit the potty again. She let him run around naked for the most part so as not to have the hassle of putting clothes on and taking them off every 15 mins. He was potty trained in a week!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• wait till summer. summer is the best time to train them.

Make sure they have enoug fluid, sit them every 30 minutes( they do have to go that often)
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• At first you have to take him on a schedule just as some have said. Initially, the praise and rewards must come frequently and enthusiastically! Also, keep him in diapers until you start seeing some success or if you want to put him in underwear. DO NOT USE PULLUPS! This only confuses things and drags out the process. He needs to feel the wetness and know that if he goes in his pants that it feel gross and he doesn't want that. Give him excited praise for sitting on the potty, but give him a sticker or m and m for actually going in the potty. The idea of taking him frequently is that it gives him practice and he will eventually have some success and see what it is all about. My daughter had a big reward that she was working for and when she got a certain number of stickers on her chart , then she got the big prize. I timed it so that the big prize came when she was successfully trained.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I had both of my autistic sons 100% trained by age 3 1/2. If your son is showing signs he's ready, then I highly recommend using a kitchen timer, and training him on the toilet with a potty seat (like Baby Bjorn) from the beginning--instead of using a separate potty chair--otherwise you may find transitioning to the toilet like starting over!

Have them only wear a long shirt--no pull ups or underwear. Set timer for 20 minute intervals...bell rings, accompany him to the potty. Keep him there for at least 15-20 minutes (talk about being a big boy, sing songs, read potty books, sit near him to keep him company). Offer lots of juice/water! If unsuccessful, let him up, set the timer for about 10-15 minutes and go again! If he's "overdue" keep the breaks short, to avoid an accident, and to hopefully get him to go in the potty! Have him wear just a long shirt--no underwear/pull ups--it'll make him more "body conscious."

CONT
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It'll take a lot of effort on your part, but if you keep at it consistently for a week or two, you WILL have success!

When we had successful potty trips, he got LOTS of praise, special snacks/treats, and I would set the timer for up to an hour of "off time!"

After about 10 days of being mostly successful, both were able to "pee or poop on demand." every time the bell rang, they managed to do "something."

When they were consistent with this, we set the timer for 45 minute intervals, and they would indicate if hey had to go or not.

By 3 weeks in, they were indicating when they had to go.

After 3 weeks we never had any accidents--daytime or overnight! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2009