My daughter has Coxsackie Virus...

Have your kids had this at all?
What did you do to help relieve it...

Its alot like " Foot-in-mouth "

♥ I just need help. Shes so miserable.

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 3:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Treating Coxsackievirus Infections

Depending on the type of infection and symptoms, the doctor may prescribe medications to make your child feel more comfortable. However, because antibiotics only work against bacteria, they can't be used to fight a coxsackievirus infection.

Acetaminophen may be given to relieve any minor aches and pains. If the fever lasts for more than 24 hours or if your child has any symptoms of a more serious coxsackievirus infection, call your doctor.

Most children with a simple coxsackievirus infection recover completely after a few days without needing any treatment. A child who has a fever without any other symptoms should rest in bed or play quietly indoors. Offer plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
    When to Call the Doctor

Call the doctor immediately if your child develops any of the following symptoms:

* fever higher than 100.4° Fahrenheit (38° Celsius) for infants younger
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 6:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• * 6 months and higher than 102° Fahrenheit (38.8° Celsius) for older kids
    * poor appetite
    * trouble feeding
    * vomiting
    * diarrhea
    * difficulty breathing
    * convulsions
    * unusual sleepiness
    * pain in the chest or abdomen
    * sores on the skin or inside the mouth
    * severe sore throat
    * severe headache, especially with vomiting, confusion, unusual sleepiness, or convulsions
    * neck stiffness
    * red, swollen, and watery eyes
    * pain in one or both testicles

Reviewed by: Stephen C. Eppes, MD, and Larissa Hirsch, MD
    Date reviewed: January 2007

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/coxsackie.html
    no.1twinmommy

• for more information, call this hotline, its iowa based, but i reccomend them all the time, and they will do whatever they can to help.

1-800-ia-health
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 6:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I had a coxsackie virus at 2 months pregnant, the doc said it usually affects small children, but with my decreased immune system, I somehow got it (but luckily my toddler did not...kinda strange). Anyhow, I can relate to the misery...it was horrible. I was told it would take 7-10 days to get over and there were NO medicines available to expedite it. I took childrens liquid tylenol (because of sores in throat) to keep down the fever and was told to keep my hands out of my eyes...they had sores also. I know this doesnt answer much, but just try to keep her as comfy as possible. I'll check back if I think of anything else that I did that helped.
    gabby423

Answer by gabby423 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2009