does this sound crazy to you?

my aunt keeps her granddaughter who is 16 months old for my cousin and her husband who both work full time for free but on days when something comes up and she can't keep her my cousin makes her 11 yr old daughter stay home from school to watch her sister. all because they are too cheap to hire a babysitter.

also my cousin is an rn and her husband is a cop so they can afford a sitter every now and then.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, cheap. Once again, educated people dont' always do things that make sense.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Doesn't sound crazy to me! Sounds normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• well, ya, cause the kid needs to go to school, but also, in my state, its illegal to leave a kid at home alone who is under the age of 13.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yeah, I would never leave an 11 year old with another child younger or older, unless they are 17+ AND know what they're doing. If the husband is a cop shouldn't he know that it is illegal?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• In my state there isnt a set age to be home alone. Depends on how mature the kid is. But she needs to be in school... with her dad being a cop he should about truncy polices!!
    Anonymous

• My 11 year old nices watches her 7 year old sister and her 8 year old cousin and 7 year old cousin after school for 3 and a half hours! They all get off the bus together!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• However, an 11 year old with 7 and 8 year olds is a lot different than an 11 year old with a 16 month old. My 7 year old is relatively self sufficient. I wouldn't leave him with an 11 year old, but to each their own. I definately wouldn't leave a child that young with an 11 year old. Especially one that is supposed to be school. There is a policy that if a child misses too much school in our district they get expelled and the parents can actually be charged. And in our state, you cannot stay home alone until 12, cannot sit for other children until 13. I would think the police office father would know the regulations regarding school and babysitting though. But I wouldn't do it. like that. I would hire a sitter for the day.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Sad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Here, it's illegal for a kid under 12 to be home without an adult.
    Anonymous

• I would never make one of my kids miss school to babysit, education is too important.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2009