I've heard of PPD, but during pregnancy depression??

I saw the question earlier where the mom-to-be wasnt sure if she really wanted to be a mom anymore now that she's pregnant...but I've been feeling a large mixture of depression lately, especially after my mother kept telling me that I was making a huge mistake going on with this pregnancy. I think she really got to me, because now I cant stop thinking that maybe I'm not emotionally ready yet, maybe I'm not mother-material, maybe I did marry the wrong guy, maybe I am just too young to handle all of this, & yeah, financials arent great right now (especially on bedrest since I was the main income), but I thought everyone was struggling...I'm very confused...I thought this was a happy part of my life, but each day seems to be more of a struggle...& I'm pretty scared. Is it normal to feel this depressed about everything? If so, how did you get through the depression?? I for some reason just feel so alone right now...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your not alone. I've felt that way since before I had my baby......She is now 5 months old. :( I feel ugly, fat, I'm poor, and like no one cares about me. I don't have a life or friends. I sit at home all day. It sucks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I hope things look up for you =(
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Being pregnant is life changing. Lots of women have mixed feelings about being pregnant, even if they are having a planned pregnancy. It's normal. And you will make it through. Just wait until you see your baby for the first time. You will be fine : ] Good Luck hun.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 4:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Thank you. That was much more comforting than the last response.......
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It is not uncommon to be depressed during pregnancy. For one thing, it's a huge source of stress and change. And for another, your hormones are crazy, so all that stress may seem ten times worse than it really is. Your fears are normal, mama, but don't let your mom get to you. Don't let anyone undermine your confidence in yourself. You can do this, and you're not making a mistake. I planned my pregnancy, and I was still unsure, insecure, and terrified. I got very depressed, and it continued well after birth. But I started seeing a psychiatrist, and worked hard at taking care of myself and recovering. Now I love being a mom and wouldn't trade it for the world. Hang in there. It will be okay.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I went through the same type of feelings at certain points in each of my pregnancies. It takes a lot of courage and faith to start a family nowadays, but it is well worth the efforts! Your marriage may not be the fairytale experience that you had always pictured, your mom might not be as supportive as she should be, and you might not be having the easiest pregnancy... but once your little one is here, and you are able to hold him/her in your arms, it will all be worth it! Even during my darkest hours, a comforting fact for me was that for the first couple of years, you will be everything to your child. You'll be your baby's best friend, and he or she will love to see your smiling face. Don't question your feelings right now, just accept that your moods and opinions and expectations will change over the next couple of months will change as you wait for your little one to arrive... it's all natural and you'll do well! :-D
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 8:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You can depressed during pregnancy but it is NOT PPD. That comes after and is very different. Talk to your OB.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yes, you can be depressed during pregnancy. That happened to me six years with my last child. I was extremely depressed,alone,scared, with no emotional support from family,friends,etc. Unfortunately for me 2 years after I gave birth I also found out I have a chronic condition so I'm still very depressed. It's not easy since I still don't have that very needed emotional support but I deal for the kids. You might need to talk to someone it doesn't have to be a professional.....I know it's helpful when a good friend just listens without judging.Good Luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Hey. You keep your chin up. Depression is very normal - regardless of the circumstances. I'm 34 and have 2 kids under 2. I feel like I'm not mom-material (although others say differently). I get frustrated and aggravated quite easily because I have to do it myself 99% of the time. There is nothing easy about it and I think almost every mom wonders about these things. Money is definitely a problem for a lot of people. I stay at home with 2 little ones and no money to go anywhere or do anything. I have no close friends, no family near, etc. etc. To sum it up - I'm at home almost 24/7 with 2 little ones and I go insane a lot. It's NOT easy. But I believe you can prove that you CAN do it. I think you'll love that little one with your whole heart. And guess what? You two will be the BEST of FRIENDS!!! ♥
    Anonymous

• Thank you all. Reading all of this has been more of a help than I had originally thought when asking the question. It means a lot to me & thank you again.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2009