Will you be going undercover as Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc.?

I will not be making my children believe in something that is not real. Every christmas there will be unmarked presents under the tree, so that it still remains a mystery who gave them. When the tooth falls out, money will still go under the pillow. Every easter after church, we will still open the Easter Baskets and dig in. My children will know of Santa Clause as a cartoon character, a myth. And these things will be done in celebration of the actual holliday, not because "Santa" brought presents. When i found out that these characters were not real i was very dissapointed that my parents lied so much. I fealt slightly embarrassed and didnt want my presents because i fealt my parents thought i was stupid. I know much better now, but i was hurt by these simple little things.

So, will you be going under cover as Santa?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• ddmac314: This is more of what i was trying to say, thank you! I will still celebrate. I love decorating and putting presents under the tree. I love pictures with Santa, as i would love pictures with Mickey Mouse if we ever went to Disney Land. I love the food and the parties (the people), everything about the hollidays. So its not like im depriving them of anything, all the fun is still there.

To the second poster on the second page: Good lord, you all think im some kind of an imageination-less hag. I read Harry Potter, Fablehaven, The Young Wizard Series, etc. to my children. Why? Because i LOVE "fairies and all wonderful imaginative creatures that bring life and fun into our world". My god people, im just not lying to my children.
    Anonymous

• Santa, yes. Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy, no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I do Santa but not the other ones.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 6:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yes we do. My mother did it to us as child and I have fond memories and it did not crush my feelings once I knew the truth. It's fantasy. Just like watching some kids movies, cartoons, some toys and reading kids books. A lot of them are fantasy, should we stop those too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Did my kids believe in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy...you bet they did. We laugh today about how I kept forgetting to put the money under the pillow and did it while I helped them look for it, or the times that we played hot and cold when they just could not find their basket. We have alot of wonderful memories. Today they share those with their kids and are creating new ones for theirs. I think when the kids know that each of us have been fooled, no one is feeling stupid, unles they are made to feel that way. Today my daughter is an assistant bank manager and my son was a top saleman. didn't seem to hurt them. Oh, and yes, if it made my grandkids happy I would dress in a heartbeat as any character they wanted. I have been a Clown.....have a great day ladies! Spend time with the kids they grow up too fast....take care.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 8:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Wow, I thought we only had to hear this debate at Christmas.

Yes, my kids believe in the whole shebang. No, I don't feel that I'm "lying" to them. I was never upset or devastated about it when I discovered that Santa and the Easter Bunny didn't exist.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• When I was a kid, I didn't really care when I found out they were fake. It kinda just made my parents all that much better, because WOW, they took the time and effort to get me the things I wanted and stick them under the tree, lol. Then again, I was a really easy-going kid.

BUT, as for whether or not we'll do that with our DD, I'm not sure. My husband is 100% against it. I think we'll be going with letting her know ABOUT Santa, but that he IS just a mythical character. I mean, it kinda stinks that I associated Christmas with Santa until I was 8 and had to wait until my teen years to associate it more with Jesus than Santa (and I was in a family who went to church every week).
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Nope...I won't do any of them.

It's only make-believe if your children know it's not real!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I do all of them. That is half the fun of being a child. I loved when my parents did it so I will give that same joy to my children
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Silvertears1275 I agree with you 100%!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2009