how did they figure this out?

you ever wonder how they figured shit out like cutting the unbilical cord, or burping a baby, or nursing one. i mean like the first people on earth. how did they figure that kind of stuff out or did they just know?

lmaines22

Asked by lmaines22 at 6:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well lets just thank God they did am I right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I'm sure common sense eventually prevailed with each one.
    For instance, they would eventually want to cut the cord so the baby wasn't having a smelly, rancid placenta hanging from him all the time; burping him probably came about while people while trying to figure out ways to soothe a crying infant and found out that by patting their back and causing them to burp helped to settle them down; nursing is easy - with breasts dripping with milk and the infant naturally turning towards it by insinct when held by the mother they put two and two together.
    Those are my theories anyway. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Actually for centuries women and families practiced lotus birth. A lotus birth is leaving the placenta attached until the cord shrivels and "breaks" off.

Breastfeeding is natural and instinct. Most mammals breastfeed, so I am sure the first people simply took cues from nature around them.

And burping is not always necessary. Im sure the first mothers would rub a baby's back for comfort, and the burps would just come up. My DD never needed to be burped. She was breastfeeding, so she swallowed little air while nursing.

And there you have it :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• How do the animals "figure" it out! This is a ridicoulous question. Nursing is natures way and as the other poster mentioned lotus birth used to be popular, but look in nature too. Many animals chew through the cord after birthing the placenta. We used to follow our instincts and actually listen to them! We have gotten away from that and I think that is a huge problem.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I suspect that the breast has a darkened area on it to help guide the baby to the food source.

About burping, it probably happened as the others have said when the baby was fussy so the mother did anything she could to comfort him, including patting and rubbing his back and tummy.

The cord- if the cord and placenta are left on they would get dirty and foul after a while, especially considering that originally people wouldn't have diapered, and some places even now the babies aren't diapered.

Answer by Bmat at 9:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I agree with epoh and aeneva.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 9:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Someone has killed enough baby and hurt enough people to understand how to make things and human body works!
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I think that back then, starting with Eve, that it was just instinct. The same way an animal knows to clean her young and the same way she knows to nurse them and they know to nurse. It's a God given instinct to care for our young.

I really believe Mother's intuition is real and that mommy's need to follow their "gut" with more and rely less on what scientists and doctors have to say. They're intentions and our intentions are not always in tune with each other.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• A "lotus" birth? Interesting! I've never heard of it.
    I can't imagine the weight of the placenta and the idea of it rotting being good for the infant, though.
    Thank you for sharing....I learned something new!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2009