Desperate mom

My son is 8 months old and I can't get him to sleep through the night. We have a routine every night Dinner, Bath, quite time, reading time, Bed. He wakes up every 2 hours if not sooner and wants his bottle. Most of the time I end up giving in and giving it to him. I know that it's not what I am suppose to do, but I tried the "cry it out" method when we was about 6 months old and he cried for 3 1/2 hours five days in a row and I just couldn't listen to him cry any more. He will not take a pacifier and I don't know what else to do. No one in our house is getting any sleep. Please help!!!

ncardinal1128

Asked by ncardinal1128 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was like that, but he breastfed. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you. My son didn't start sleeping through the night until he weaned at 15 months. But I do want to remind you that this won't last forever, and you'll get through it. Have yout ried offering him water instead of formula? I've heard people say that worked. Another possibilit is that cio will work much better now that he is 2 months older, so maybe you could try again. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Girl I feel your pain. My baby is still up every 2 hours, sometimes every hour. We tried CIO and yeah he can put himself to sleep, but still wakes every 2 hours. Some babies just take longer to get it together. My first was 7 months. this one maybe by the time he starts college :)
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Is he on solids? If not maybe he should be. If he has his dinner & then a bottle right before sleeping that might help him stay asleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• If he's taking a full bottle, then he's still hungry. You should be getting up and feeding him. Not all babies are ready to sleep through the night at this age. Some still need to be fed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Reduce the amount of milk in the bottle every week. If you are giving 8 oz., then next week, give 6 oz., then 4 oz., then 2 oz, and finally no bottle. You have to ween him off his midnight snack just like you would have to do yourself if you were a "peanut butter sandwich at midnight" kind of girl. Don't talk to him, don't sing, don't do anything that stimulates him. Also, try putting a heating pad turned on low on his sheets if you actually pick him up. It takes out the shock factor of cold sheets when you lay him back down.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Babies aren't supposed to sleep thru the night. Do you remember when you were pregnant ppl saying "are yous ready for those slepless night". If you LO wakes and is hungry its bc their LITTLE tummy is hungry. Most babies still need those extra feedings. Its just the way life is.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• i've been giving my daughter 8 ounces at bed time only because since she's 9 months.. doc says it should last her 7 hours. which normally... she doesnt get up til bout 6 or 7 hours after that. so i'll put her in to bed at 9 and she wont get up til bout 2 or 3 in the morning. so a diaper change and then another 8 ounce bottle and back in bed she goes. lol always works for me. so she only gets up once at night!
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009