Does anyone else use Bum Genius (or any other easy-to-use) cloth diapers?

A friend just introduced me to Bum Genius cloth diapers, which I think are wonderful and very easy to use! My questions for those moms who have used them is... how did your family/friends/daycare provider like using them, and how did you handle transporting dirty diapers back to your house?

I am not sure if I should ask those who help me with my daughter to rinse the diapers out before wrapping them in a small garbage bag that I provide, or if I should just ask them to wrap the dirty diaper in the bag and let me deal with it at a later time?

Usually, I rinse my diapers out right away or within an hour of taking them off of my daughter. I have never let one sit in a bag for several hours at a time, so I am not sure if the smell will continue to wash out of the diapers or not if they were to sit for a long time.

I just want to make the diapering experience as easy as possible for helpers. :-)

sarah_smile

Asked by sarah_smile at 8:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always had ziploc bags with me to haul the used diapers and I would rinse and reuse the bags to avoid unnecessary garbage. It's hard to get people to go along with cloth diapers, so if you cannot get people to rinse them like you do then just make sure you keep up on your diaper stripping every so often to keep them clean and absorbent. Good luck, I LOVE the Bum Genius all-in-ones!
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You are lucky that your daycare provider allows cloth. Ours in the area do not. I used Motherease one size fits all for the two boys untill they started on solids. I also breastfed both so the smell was not really an issue. I did keep a zipper bag with me for the dirty diapers and never rinsed them untill we got home. even after the poop was dried on, they still came out clean and smelling good. having a front loader washer also helps. Good for you to use cloth!
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I never rinse my BGs and do not have a problem with smells not washing out. When I'm out and about I just roll the diaper like you would a sposie and put it down into a bag until I get home.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• there are wet bags for CDs that you can have them put it in. and i agree with pp that you are lucky you have providers that will even consider doing cloth while she is in their care. All the daycares I worked in wouldnt touch them cause they didnt want to deal with all the extra
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2009